Walt Disney World Magic Music Days program  » Travel  »
  • It was a great experience, with a few not-so-great things
  • I would recommend this experience to any group dance, theater, choral, band, etc. It's a lot of fun, a great performance experience, and you get to learn a little about performing and working for Disney

• by Allison

A couple years ago I went with my dance company down to Disney World to participate in their Magic Music Days program. It was a great experience, with a few not-so-great things.

On the first night, as part of our “VIP treatment” we had a barbecue followed by “special” seats for Fantasmic. Well it rained, and our barbecue became an inside buffet with burgers and hot dogs. Pretty decent food, and a nice function room. Our seats at Fantasmic were not so nice. Special yes, nice no. We were given folding chairs on a flat area at the top of the stadium, so we all ended up standing at the railing to watch the show, even though we

couldn’t see the whole set. I would have rather sat in the regular seats.

Our workshop was the next day, and it was a lot of fun! It wasn’t that great getting up early it’s never fun getting up early, but it’s worse when you’re on vacation at Disney World. The workshop was held in the Magic Kingdom performance center, and while it’s not all that glamorous, it’s really neat to see, and even neater to get to dance in their studio! The teacher was really nice, and while our routine was corny, it was a fun routine to perform. The workshop was held as a “mock audition,” complete with callbacks. I got a callback for ...

• being really enthusiastic, yay! Then we gathered around as she told us what it was like to work at Disney, and what you need to be a professional performer. I kinda zoned out, I’d wanted to be an actress and knew what I would have needed for that, and I had no interest in working for Disney after my camp counselor told me how much she hated working for them. Apparently they treat their employees like garbage.

The next day was our performance. Again we went to the performance center first. We were given one big dressing room to get ready in, although all mid-show changes would need to be done in the wings of the actual theater.

Changing was a little awkward, but at least we were able to help each other get our hair and makeup just right. Then we went to the Galaxy Palace Theater, and it was HOT! I was afraid my makeup would melt right off my face, good thing I had powder! The performance was so much fun, a lot of people came to see us! And not just our parents, but general guests of the park came and watched and applauded, it felt so great!

I would recommend this experience to any group dance, theater, choral, band, etc. It’s a lot of fun, a great performance experience, and you get to learn a little about performing and working for Disney.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38505347270931/k2311a055/5.5.08