AIM  » Software  »
  • I like being able to just have my buddy list open in one window on the side of the screen, rather than having to have a whole AOL window that I have to open and minimize every time I want to see my buddy list or talk to someone
  • Plus, I can IM with my away message on, which I don't often do but when I need to, it's pretty convenient
  • Since I really only need instant messaging and e-mail, AIM is a great alternative to AOL, especially since it doesn't cost anything

• by Allison

I’ve had AIM for years now, I got it after being fed up with AOL. For me, AIM is all the good things I liked about AOL without any of the crap.

I like being able to just have my buddy list open in one window on the side of the screen, rather than having to have a whole AOL window that I have to open and minimize every time I want to see my buddy list or talk to someone. AIM makes it much easier to multitask on the computer.

I also like the option of being able to save my buddy list, which is a good feature to use when

I want to get a new screen name. With AOL I had to write down every screen name in my old account and then re-enter it in my new buddy list. Pain in the butt if you ask me. Speaking of adding screen names, even though I only have one it’s nice to know I can make a new one easily, with no limit, and without having to clear it with my parents. I have more freedom with AIM.

The away message feature is a lot easier to use too. They don’t limit the length of away messages, or the number you’re allowed to have. Plus, I can IM with my ...

• away message on, which I don’t often do but when I need to, it’s pretty convenient.

There is one annoying thing with AIM, and that’s the alter system. It’s both a blessing and a curse. I like being able to know when certain people sign on and off, or when they go away and come back, but the alert window just pops up in front of whatever I’m doing. If I’m playing Tetris, I have to re-click the window or the game won’t respond. If I’m playing spider solitaire, the alert covers up the deck I need to click to deal a new row, and that’s annoying. The alert feature is both

useful and a pain.

I really like AIM mail too. I don’t have to be logged in to AIM to check my mail, which is great. Also, AIM doesn’t automatically delete old e-mails, only I am in control of when they get deleted! And I can create mail folders to keep things organized, rather than just have one “saved mail” folder. Also, there are no parental controls keeping me from accessing pages my e-mails link to. No parental controls period!

Since I really only need instant messaging and e-mail, AIM is a great alternative to AOL, especially since it doesn’t cost anything. I find it much easier to use, and I’m almost always signed on.

AIM

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 30505347190931/k2311a055/5.5.08