Caltrate  » Health  »
2.0
  • When I got home, I was disappointed with the product I bought
  • I thought about dissolving them in water to see if I could drink them, but I am not sure how brave I am feeling about them right now
  • At least I know to stay away from the purple one
  • I cannot recommend the chewable tablets to anyone

• by Marie Baker

Maybe you are one of the millions of Americans that need to supplement your daily intake of calcium and vitamin D. After blood tests, my doctor suggested I start taking Caltrate supplements every day. She also explained the importance of taking vitamin D along with the calcium for proper absorption.

Caltrate products are readily available in supermarkets, drug stores, and department stores. I was taken back at the number of different products and dosages available. Actually, it was getting frustrating and time consuming to have to read and compare so many products. Exhausted, I finally

put a purple colored label of Caltrate 600+D Plus Minerals in my shopping cart.

When I got home, I was disappointed with the product I bought.

One reason is the dosage. The bottle contains 90 tablets, which I assumed would last me 3-months. However, to get the health benefits they claim, one tablet must be taken twice a day. Why not just say two-tablets a day to make it easier to read?

The second reason I was disappointed is that somehow I bought the chewable tablets, not the ones you swallow. They are multiple flavors, cherry, orange, and ...

• fruit punch. I figured I could manage for 45-days. So I broke the seal to take the first tablet. The real flavor was chalk. I tried another colored one the next morning - chalk again. That evening I tried the last of the three flavors. To my surprise, it tasted like chalk.

I have tried chewing these things and immediately drinking water, or juice, but they leave my mouth, tongue, and teeth with a nasty feel. I have to brush my teeth to get rid of it. Chewing these things is much worse than swallow a pill

ever has been.

At this point I am not sure what I am going to do with the rest of the bottle. I cannot return them, and I cannot afford to run out and buy another bottle. I thought about dissolving them in water to see if I could drink them, but I am not sure how brave I am feeling about them right now.

Before I ever buy another Caltrate product, I will spend even more time reading the label. At least I know to stay away from the purple one. I cannot recommend the chewable tablets to anyone.

Caltrate

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34505346820831/k2311a055/5.5.08