Desert Botanical Gardens Phoenix  » Travel  »
1.5
1201 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix AZ 85008
  • Desert Botanical Gardens is an interesting place to visit in Phoenix, Arizona
  • My back yard is overflowing with gorgeous stalks of amazing flowers in full bloom
  • When I visited the garden, I paid one $10.00 adult fee, and one $5.00 student fee
  • And in fact, the total cost of admission was worth is just to see this temporary exhibit
  • If you must visit Desert Botanical Gardens, I recommend that you call ahead and find out what events they have available

• by 4YourInfo

Desert Botanical Gardens is an interesting place to visit in Phoenix, Arizona. Located at 1201 N. Galvin Parkway, just one mile north of the Phoenix Zoo, it is easy enough to find. The winter of 2007/2008 was very wet. Many people told me it was time to go and see all the wild flowers blooming in Desert Botanical Gardens, before the heat kicked in, promising to spoil the beauty of all the flowers.

My back yard is overflowing with gorgeous stalks of amazing flowers in full bloom. I planted a few hollyhock, snapdragon, and carnation seeds; all of these have grown and bloomed, making my yard look absolutely colorful and bright. I couldn’t wait to go see the Botanical Garden. I had loads of expectations, and was eager to discover the wonderful flowers they were able to grow in our climate. I also wanted to see their butterfly exhibit.

When I visited the garden, I paid one $10.00 adult fee, and one $5.00 student fee. The butterfly exhibit was $3.00 extra per person. They gave me a map and told me that the park closed early on this particular day. They had evening events planned, so the park would be closing at 4pm instead of 8pm. There was no fee reduction for this inconvenience.

After going into the park, my daughter and I hit the trails. There were lots of cactus and desert plants. We

headed straight for the butterfly exhibit. Along the way, we passed a few food and drink kiosks. We decided to get something after we saw the butterflies, just in case food and drink in the exhibit was prohibited.

My daughter and I spent quite a while at the butterfly exhibit. It was screened in with misters, and filled with lush plants, a fish pond, and several species of butterflies. The plants were positively gorgeous, many of them in full bloom. We saw beautiful exotic flowers, and varied vegetation. All the while, butterflies floated through the air, landing on plants, people, and clinging to the screen that enclosed them.

We watched as butterflies gathered nectar, and interacted with each other. We saw some of the fish jump in the pond trying to catch them. We listened as employees offered education about the butterflies. We even looked for cocoons. There were no cocoons because the butterflies were flown in from somewhere else at regular intervals to keep the supply available for tourists. This was a little disappointing since I have been watching caterpillars make cocoons and turn into butterflies in my own backyard this spring.

It was even worse to overhear an employee talk about how some of the butterflies got hurt in transit. She was talking to a coworker and describing how several of the butterflies had lost their antennae this last time around. Without antennae,

• they can’t navigate to fly.

Still, I was thrilled with the exhibit. There is something about a room full of butterflies and vibrant plants that seems to help me relax. The fact that it took some effort to put on such a display was not surprising. And in fact, the total cost of admission was worth is just to see this temporary exhibit.

After we left the butterfly exhibit, my daughter and I looked for a kiosk so we could get something to drink. It was around 1pm. We made our way to a busy kiosk and were surprised to see that they were closing shop for the day. The clerks told us that everyone was closing early because they had evening events planned. She advised us to make our way to the patio café.

We made our way to the patio café, and the line was extremely long. We only had a few hours to see the park, and didn’t want to spend most of our time waiting in line at the patio café. The day was beginning to become a little frustrating.

We decided to check out the nature trails, and hope that we would find an open kiosk on our way. As we made our way through the trails, we kept running into dead ends. The trails were like mazes with lots of species of desert plants. Most of the vegetation was the same, just on

different trails. Everything was labeled very nicely, and there were plenty of plants. But trail after trail looked similar. At around 2pm we decided to go to the gift shop. We were a little bored with the gardens.

After the gift shop, we went left at around 2:30pm. Our day had begun at the garden around 11:30am. Our experience was frustrated by the fact that the one thing we truly enjoyed seeing costs $3.00 extra. We had to pay full price for admission when the park was closing four hours early. All the kiosks for food and drink closed early, so we couldn’t even get a bottle of water while we walked the trails. The employees were too busy planning for the evening events, so much so that they were neglectful of the current patrons.

This experience is enough to determine that I don’t need to pay a fee to see what is available just by taking a nature walk in the desert. I am extremely disappointed with the lack of colorful blooms, and plants. I feel that I was overcharged, considering the fact that everything, except the gift shop, closed within the first two hours of my visit. If you must visit Desert Botanical Gardens, I recommend that you call ahead and find out what events they have available. I’m certain that they will be more accommodating if you participate in their activities.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383004344911130/k2311a0430/4.30.08