Tempra Forte  » Medicine  »
  • I prefer administering this dosage because at my daughter's age, giving a two 125mg/5ml dose, which means 2 teaspoons may prove to be a lot of medicine swallowing work

• by marni’dwhiz

When my 4 year old daughter has an increase in temperature, I right away administer a teaspoon of Tempra forte. Tempra forte is paracetamol (I’d say, roughly equivalent to acetaminophen) suspension for children which comes in a variety of kiddie flavors.

I trust this brand because my

parents themselves advised me to give the same.

It was the same drug for fever which I used to take when I was a kid myself.

It comes in a formulation of 250mg/5ml.

I prefer administering this dosage because at my daughter’s age, giving a two 125mg/5ml dose, which means 2 teaspoons may prove to be a lot of medicine swallowing work! Giving a teaspoon rather than 2 teaspoons of the same dosage of medicine is always the smartest move.

However, coming in a more concentrated form would also mean that the flavor masking ...

• Tempra Forte
      is less, so that there is more bitter taste left that children abhor! So, what I do is I let my girl follow it up with a gulp of water, plus a little treat of something sweet, so that it would make her therapy more pleasant.

Unlike it’s

counterpart brand, Biogesic, Tempra forte comes in an even, not-so-thick suspension, which doesn’t need a lot of shaking before administration.

More importantly, I find it effective for reducing fever (noticeable drop in temperature in less than 1 hour!) without the risk of gastric irritation that is usually caused by other kinds of antipyretics.

Tempra Forte
marnidwhiz says :

hi, better if you consult a vet. What I know is that paracetamol in high dosages especially if administered to small dogs can be really harmful. It may or may not be the cause of your dog`s death. Ask an expert.

Galega says :

Actually, paracetamol or Acetaminophen can be quite fatal to dog. In certain cases, it can be given to dog. However, that should be done under strict medical supervision.

marc says :

can a tempra forte medicine kill your dog. becouse my dog die suddenly and i dont know if the medicine cause his death. i saw an ad that some over the counter medicines are not aloud for a dog. pls help.

awezome.writer says :

The two ingredients that should not be taken by dogs are Tylenol and Ibuprofen which are not present in Tempra. But that doesn’t mean that Tempra might not have caused the death of your dog, so you better contact your vet about this.

Galega says :

Paracetamol or Acetaminophen should not be given to a dog unless it is really necessary (or when unless your vet has prescribed it). It can be dangerous and lead to death, if your dog has any liver issue. Needless to say, you never know whether your dog has any liver issue or not. I think the unfortunate death of your dog was because of Tempra Forte.

francois says :

my son`s fever abated from 40C to 37.30 in 3hrs 30min after 5ml of tempra forte syrup. an hour after the fever starts to rise again and registered at 38.9C, can i give tempra again which is only about 4 hours from last dose?

awezome.writer says :

Hi,

For children, the recommended dosage is 10 to 15 mg per kg of body weight, every 4 to 6 hours, to a maximum of 65 mg/kg in 24 hours.

Galega says :

Yes, you can give Tempra in this situation after 4 hours.

More importantly, you should also give some antibiotic syrup. Please consult a pediatrician to get the prescription of a suitable antibiotic. You can’t give paracetamol to a baby continuously.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262604343180430/k2311a0426/4.26.08