Linux Ubuntu  » Software  »
  • So I decided to go ahead and get Linux's Ubuntu distribution which I thought had the largest online community for support
  • The look of the operating system is OK, it's not bad, it looks quite attractive at first but then you get used to it, it looks alot better that Microsoft's Windows 98/2000 but falls short of Windows XP in my opinion, but you can always download other themes for Linux ubuntu
  • Compatibility is ALWAYS an issue when getting Linux, most games, applications and software is built for Microsoft Windows which means they won't work on other operating systems which means I have to end up getting other free alternatives made for Linux which are mostly not what I'm looking for (very annoying) or I have to get some other software which tries to make applications built for Windows to work on Linux which many times either doesn't work properly or doesn't work at all

• by Carl Unger

A couple years back I got Linux Ubuntu after my Windows XP installation somehow crashed due to a psycho virus or virus(s)

So, I didn’t want to pay alot more money just so I can buy something I already have so I opted to go for a Linux product which I had previously heard about which is an alternative and free operating system which is built by many members of the internet IT community.

So I decided to go ahead and get Linux’s Ubuntu distribution which I thought had the largest online community for support.

Now let’s get underway on reviewing certain

aspects of this product..

Look: The look of the operating system is OK, it’s not bad, it looks quite attractive at first but then you get used to it, it looks alot better that Microsoft’s Windows 98/2000 but falls short of Windows XP in my opinion, but you can always download other themes for Linux ubuntu.

Compatibility: Compatibility is ALWAYS an issue when getting Linux, most games, applications and software is built for Microsoft Windows which means they won’t work on other operating systems which means I have to end up getting other free alternatives made for Linux which are mostly not what ...

• I’m looking for (very annoying) or I have to get some other software which tries to make applications built for Windows to work on Linux which many times either doesn’t work properly or doesn’t work at all. Only a small handful of software is supported, VERY frustrating.

Speed: It’s much faster than Windows which is excellent as Windows can be laggy sometimes when put under a bit of pressure. Linux can handle it.

Viruses: Yes, it is true (and annoying) that most software is not built for Windows and cannot work on Linux but the same applies for most viruses making Linux prone

against most viruses which made me feel alot better knowing that my previous Windows installation crashed because of viruses.

Conclusion: People from Linux themselves say that they are not trying to compete with the Windows product but are offering people a free alternative to Windows and if they are being honest then they have achieved their goal easily. If it wasn’t for compatiblity then I would rather use Linux then Windows and as a result I am using a Windows operating system right now. Linux is a great operating system but it just wasn’t for me and it won’t be for most people.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302004340260830/k2311a0420/4.20.08