Sony ICD-P620 Voice Recorder
  • I have been impressed with the quality of the recordings on this Voice Recorder
  • Overall, I think this is a very good product
  • But, as I mentioned before, I can deal with that problem to get the high quality recordings that are turned out by this recorder

• by KrisB

The Sony ICD_P620 Digital Voice Recorder is a great voice recorder. It has 512 MB of flash memory, and can hold up to 261 hours of recordings. There are several features that are standard on voice recorders today, that you would expect from a Sony recorder. It can be connected to your computer via USB cable. It has both low and high sensitivity settings on the built in microphone. It can be used for dictation, and is compatible with Speech Recognition software.

I have been impressed

with the quality of the recordings on this Voice Recorder. The sound quality is great, with little to no distortion. Downloading is easily accomplished via USB cable, which is a standard cable, so you don’t have to worry if you lose the cable. I would rather have a direct connect, instead of a cable (like Olympus now uses for most of their recorders), but that is a small sacrifice for the good quality of the recordings themselves.

This recorder has a very good display, and the buttons on ...

• the front are set up very well. The buttons are large enough to be able to use easily, but small enough that the recorder itself remains a manageable size. Figuring out how to work through all of the settings, and folders is a bit difficult on this unit, but following the printed directions in the book will teach you all the functionality of the recorder.

This recorder also comes with great software, that allows the file to be converted easily to either WMA or MP3 files. The simplicity

of the software is a great asset to this recorder. If you want to prepare the audio for either burning on CD or putting on a website, you can do it quickly and easily.

Overall, I think this is a very good product. I am going to give it a 9 out of 10, simply because I would really rather not have to deal with a cable. But, as I mentioned before, I can deal with that problem to get the high quality recordings that are turned out by this recorder.

beau says :

When i try to open up the Digital Voice Editor 3 program on my computer my windows stops it and shuts it down saying there is a problem with it. I have tried to unistall the program and reinstall it but that still dont work. There is also a thing that says that its not compatable with my computer. I am using a hp Windows Vista Home Premium. I need to be able to empty my recorder so i can keep using it. How do i get the program to work with my computer?

John says :

This means that you have the incorrect version of the software installed. Here’s a link to Sony’s website to download the correct version for Vista:

Galega says :

The error message is quite clear in this respect - that its not compatible with your computer. It means the software that you have installed isn’t compatible with the operating system you are using. Visit the official website of Sony and download the software for it as per the operating system you are using. Install it and run. The voice recorder should start working properly now.

Marc says :

I am trying to use this recorder to record my lectures at the school where I teach. When I connect the recorder to the Dell computer using windows XP professional,the computer flatly does not recognize that the recorder is connected. Under My computer , there is no indication of an extra drive being attached. furthermore, when I try to use the digital voice editor software, it does recognize what is on the recorder, but when I try to move the file, it says the drive is not accessible. The computer people at the school are not able to solve the problem. Could you please help with this. Basically, I cannot access the files that are in the recorder, to put them onto the computer.

John says :

You will need to download the driver for the device and install it. Here’s a link to download it: Select your OS from this screen.

Galega says :

Connect it with a different USB port. See if the computer is recognizing it or not. If not, then you will have to uninstall the software. Download the software from the official website of Sony according to your model number and the OS you are using. Install it by following prompt. Finish and start the voice recorder.

Rick says :

Same problem here my computer doesn`t recognize the recorder however I have to add that I connected the recorder to my computer before I installed the software so the driver from windows XP was installed. How can I remove windows driver so I can re-install the driver that comes with the recorder? I already uninstalled this software and re-installed it thinking it would override windows driver, but nothing happened. Please help. Thanks in advance.

John says :

You can uninstall the driver from within the device manager. To open the device manager click on start and then click run. Enter devmgmt.msc into the run box and press enter. Locate the device and right click it and click on uninstall.

Galega says :

Go to Control Panel. Click on programs and you will find list of all programs. Click on the driver and the click uninstall. Once done, you are ready to install the new one. Now, download the updated driver for your OS from the official website of Sony. Install it and click Finish. Run voice recorder. It should now working properly.

Quincy Paul says :

Will this device allow you to record 261 hours continuously non-stop ??

John says :

If you select the lowest quality recording mode, it can record up to 261 hours and 45 minutes.

Galega says :

You are asking because that is the duration provided by Sony. Isn’t it? And, Sony is correct. This voice recorder can record for 261 hours. However, there is a catch. You have to prefer the lower quality recording (which will take low amount of data in memory space) for recording this much. Medium quality is most preferred by professionals using this recorder.

DUNG NGUYEN says :

Problem with my computer doesn t recognize the recorder software ICD-P620 however I have to add that I connected the recorder to my computer before I can not installed the software so the driver from windows Vista . How can I remove windows driver so I can re-install the driver that comes with the recorder? I already uninstalled this software and re-installed it thinking it would override windows driver, but nothing happened. Please help. Thanks in advance.

John says :

You can uninstall the driver from within the device manager. Click on start and enter device manager into the search box and press enter. Right click the device and then uninstall. After it’s done proceed with installing the proper driver.

Galega says :

You have to install the digital voice editor software that was bundled up with this recorder when you had bought it. If not done, do it. If you have no access to this software, then get the latest version from the official website of Sony for the operating system you are using. In some other cases, voice recorder is not recognized if the computer does not meet the system requirements of the Digital Voice Editor.

Richard says :

I am trying to use this recorder to record my meetings at work. When I connect the recorder to the Dell computer using windows XP professional,the computer flatly does not recognize that the recorder is connected. Could you please help with this. Basically, I cannot access the files that are in the recorder, to put them onto the computer.

John says :

Richard, it seems like a driver related issue. Have you tried installing the driver? If not refer to the link above for the driver link.

Galega says :

There is a digital voice editor software. You should have gotten it along with this Voice Recorder. Please install it on your computer. Once installed, your computer will start recognizing it. Consider it as a mode of communication. If it is not there, the CPU won’t communicated with the recorder, even if properly inserted.

Len Albright says :

I plan to record a discussion with about ten people in the room. My plan is to set the recorder in the middle of the table in the room and do my recording. Will this work, or what do I need to do to ensure quality recording of this session?

Galega says :

Yes, that will work. Depending on the distance and pitch and frequency of voices of your team mates, some quality issues may popup. But, it will work. Further, to get proper recording, keep the device in equal distance from all team members and ensure that the room is free from unnecessary noises and interruptions.

dayro says :

No he podido utilizar mi ic recorder ICD-P620 con Windows 7. Como lo habilito? Ihaven`t could use my ic recorder ICD-P620 with Windows-7. How can i use it?

John says :

It’s compatible, however you will need to download the Windows 7 software. Here’s a link to get it:

zolt n says :

What if it still doesn’t work?
    The program is running, the control panel sees the device, but saying: it requires problem solving…

Galega says :

If everything is fine with the voice recorder editor software and Windows is recognizing it, then there might be some other problem. I think you should also check the system requirements. Voice recorder is not recognized if the computer does not meet the system requirements of the Digital Voice Editor.

David says :

Yes I just purchased this item and I am a transcriptionist ICD-P620 . I wanted to know what I need on my computer as far as transcribing the dictation on the recorder. Can my transcriptionist use the Digital Voice Editor to type from and if yes is a usb foot pedal required. Thank you for your time.

Galega says :

There is nothing as such any special requirement. You need to install the Digital Voice Editor Software. If not, download it for Sony ICD - P620 from the official website of Sony and install. Connect the recorder with your computer using USB port. And, that’s all. Start recording.

KrisB says :

First, to make the program work in vista, you have to have administrator privileges. There are some funny things in vista that make it look sometimes like you have privileges, when you really don`t. You have to right click on the icon for the program and tell it to run as administrator . this has worked for me. Marc, I cannot help with that problem. I can`t think of why it would react that way. The only thing I might try is to uninstall the program, and then reinstall and see what happens. sorry I can`t help any more than that

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161504337431030/k2311a0415/4.15.08