Greyhound  » General services  »
0.5
  • Unfortunately the public transit system on the west coast (and I'm pretty certain in the whole country) is a complete joke, and Amtrak's last journey North left at something like 3pm
  • Either this country fess up and admit that cars are not the best way to get around localized areas and make the transit system better, or

• by Matthew S. Tanabe

I had been in the band for only a few weeks and our first show was scheduled on a night when my car was being used by my brother in Portland. The show was in Portland, OR and I live in Salem. I’m a student at Willamette University, and that evening I had class until 5pm so had to leave as soon as possible after that. Unfortunately the public transit system on the west coast (and I’m pretty certain in the whole country) is a complete joke, and Amtrak’s last journey North left at something like 3pm.

Right? Absurd. Who knows. Not I.

Anyhow.

I made a reservation for a spot on the Greyhound. The bus was scheduled to leave at 6:00, which would have me in Portland just in time to call my brother up and get him to drive me, in my car, over to the venue (a place that was, at the time, called the Grape Drink. A terrible name, and essentially a terrible spot. Which is why it is now closed. But that’s another review…). Presumptions can be extremely dangerous.

The bus didn’t ...

• show up at the Salem station until about a quarter past seven. I had finished cursing the man “working” behind the desk there about fifteen minutes before the stupid thing arrived. Then the driver stepped off the bus, waddled over to the door, opens it with a half-smile and states rather matter-of-factly, “northbound to Seattle by way of Portland..” So yes, I was late to the show and feel terribly discouraged to attempt the Greyhound’s services again. This is a shame.

I will always maintain that the present times have the advantage of history, but I

wonder how different things were back when the commuter industry was fresh and trains were experiencing the peaks of the trade, back and forth, up and down the coastline, travelers happy and schedules met promptly. The so-called Golden Age. Who gives a damn when cars dominate the highways?

I make two suggestions: Either this country fess up and admit that cars are not the best way to get around localized areas and make the transit system better, or….no, that’s pretty much it.

Solve some problems. Improve railroads and develop more train lines and more efficient trains. And stop driving.

Greyhound
    quick note by anonymous :

hmm to my knowledge Greyhouhnd doesn’t take reservations rather like a transit bus space availability seems to be the rule. Also, “fininshed Cursing the man behind the counter”? Was it his fault that the bus was delayed?

Matthew Tanabe replies :

I absolutely agree that it was no fault of the clerk, however, as I am sure you can agree, when placed in stressful situations, people tend to want to “curse” anything that would prolong or exacerbate the situation. In my case those years ago, the clerk was certainly no help, making it painfully obvious how much he hated his job. I don’t even begrudge him that, but the job could have benefitted from someone more proactive about general maintenance and customer service. It has also been a number of years since I created that post (2003 or 4, possibly 2005 if I’m not mistaken), and I can happily say the Greyhound station in question no longer exists as such. The state of its disrepair was profound unsafe, and unclean–even wanting for basic floor and bathroom mopping, for goodness’ sake. Greyhound services now share space in the beautiful Amtrak station. I only hope this does not create other issues.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 251504337291030/k2311a0415/4.15.08