Taronga Zoo Sydney  » Travel  »
Sydney, Australia
  • I love animals, so of course I had to check out the Taronga Zoo in Sydney
  • You can take a bus to the entrance, or ride a skyway cable-car (no additional cost)
  • I decided to brave it alone, and just followed the path in
  • For a few highlights, the lions were absolutely beautiful, the elephants had a gorgeous area and were very cool, meerkats were spunky and cute, red pandas ran all over having lots of fun, platypus was swimming in his bubbles, and the giraffe exhibit was amazing

• by myotherair

I recently went to Sydney for a week long vacation. I love animals, so of course I had to check out the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. I must say, it was phenomenal! The admission price is very reasonable and they offer a variety of discounts (such as for college students). Getting there is fun by itself. You can easily hop on a ferry from Circular Quay for a trip across the harbor. There are also many bus routes, or you can drive there. Once there it is a short hike up to the ticket booth, then you get to pick your entry into

the zoo. You can take a bus to the entrance, or ride a skyway cable-car (no additional cost). I went for the cable car which provided an excellent view of Sydney and the harbor, not to mention a sneak peek at many animal below in the zoo.

Once off the cable car, there is an information booth where you can get a great map of the zoo. They even offer to send a guide with you through the Australian animal exhibits, again, at no additional cost. I decided to brave it alone, and just followed the path in.

I loved all the exhibits. I started ...

• out in the Australian animals and walked through their very open kangaroo area. I got to get very close to many of them and saw a cute little joey peeking out of one mom’s pouch. There were also emus and wallabies in the exhibit. I continued through seeing many more Australian animals. I then wound my way through the rest of the zoo, which was very extensive. All the animals seemed content and the sizes of cages were adequate. For a few highlights, the lions were absolutely beautiful, the elephants had a gorgeous area and were very cool, meerkats were spunky and cute,
        red pandas ran all over having lots of fun, platypus was swimming in his bubbles, and the giraffe exhibit was amazing! The giraffes were probably my favorite. Their cage allowed for great viewing and a fantastic view of the Sydney skyline and ocean behind. Absolutely breath-taking.

Overall, I have to say this is one zoo you should not miss if you are in the Sydney area! Good price, great animals, very large, good snack and rest areas, and friendly people. I meant to spend about half a day at the zoo, but ended up there all day. The Taronga Zoo is a fabulous visit!

Taronga Zoo Sydney

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381504336970930/k2311a0415/4.15.08