Fiske Guide to Colleges
  • True, it doesn't have every school, so that's a problem if you're interested in a school it doesn't include

• by Allison

I strongly reccomend this book to any high school student looking at colleges. It’s the most comprehensive college guide I used during my college search, because it includes information other guides leave out.

What I was do a college search online, then print out the list and look up the colleges in this book. Not every college is in there, only the top 300 in United States

(some are in Canada too). The descriptions for each college are pretty long and in-depth, describing ALL aspects of the school, from the atmosphere and architecture, to academics, athletics, residence halls, and the most useful: what the students are like.

At the time I wanted to go to a really liberal school, where most of the students are not only liberal but very outspoken. That’s not really a detail you find on a college website, but the Fiske guide says whether the students are mostly liberal or conservative, and whether activism and political action are prevalent activities. I even learned that one college provided vans to anti-war protests! In general I wanted to know if the students were like me, or the opposite.

I later decided I wanted to go to a bigger,

• Fiske Guide to Colleges
      more socially diverse school. Still, I found the Fiske guide helpful. I was able to find out not only what kinds of programs were offered, but the strength of the programs I wanted to study.

Out of all the resources I used - college books, annual college magazines, websites, etc. - this book was by far the most helpful. It provided so much valuable information other

sources didn’t have, and it even included student points of view. Who better to ask about a school than the people who actually go there?

True, it doesn’t have every school, so that’s a problem if you’re interested in a school it doesn’t include. And you do have to do a little reading, it’s so much more than just “at a glimpse” charts and quick facts, but it’s worth reading.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501104335940730/k2311a0411/4.11.08