Camp Nawaka East Otis MA  » Travel  »
East Otis, MA
  • It wasn't the best camp I've been to, but I did have fun
  • The only activity I have a problem with is the swim lesson requirement
  • I know how to swim, why do I need to jump into freezing cold water every day against my will
  • Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you like the activity or not, you have to participate

• by Allison

I went to this camp for three years. It wasn’t the best camp I’ve been to, but I did have fun.

Cabins: I can’t say much about the tents or dorms, having never stayed in one, but I did stay in a cabin all three years. The cabins leave much to be desired, but you get used to it. There’s not a lot of space, especially since everyone lives out of their luggage. They don’t provide storage, but if you have a bottom bunk you can keep everything under your bed, if you have a top bunk you usually have a shelf-like thingy to keep your bedside essentials on, and you can bring those plastic drawers or crates for extra storage.

There are no bathrooms in the cabins, you have to walk to the communal bathrooms. That’s okay during rest hour, but not as fun when you have to pee in the middle of the night . . . or when you go to get dressed, only to realize you dropped your panties on the dirt path!

Food: The food is edible. It’s not as good as the stuff at home, but it’s good enough to keep even picky eaters from starving to death.

Dining: The dining hall is set up family-style, which makes sense since it’s a pretty big room and a buffet style meal would be a mess! You only go up for the “salad bar” (which is just bowls of veggies on a table, but close enough), or the cereal table in the morning. And there’s the policy “you kill it, you fill it,” which sometimes deterred me from helping myself to seconds . . .

The seating is assigned, which stinks because you’re stuck eating with the same people all week. You do get to choose your seating, but that’s not helpful if you don’t know anyone and only make friends during the week. And God forbid you get seated with a friend, only to have a fight and suddenly hate each other. The tables are supervised by counselors, but they’re young and usually pretty cool, but still have the potential to make certain conversations awkward.

Activities: The only activity I have a problem with is the swim lesson requirement. I know how to swim, why do I need to jump into freezing cold water every day against my will? My sister passes the top level, and she still had to take lessons! Give us ...

• a break! And then if you have an activity after that, you’re all wet and cold until you can go back to your cabin, not comfortable.

The good activities: Archery, which is always popular and can also be a good way to make friends, because when you’re not shooting arrows you’re hanging out with the rest of the people in the class. Then there’s improv, which I hope they still have. The people in my improv class were so funny!

Being a theater nerd, I loved Nawakawood. Granted, they were probably the worst plays I’ve ever done, but it was fun working with fellow drama geeks and doing what I loved for two weeks.

The evening activities . . . well, some were fun, some weren’t. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter if you like the activity or not, you have to participate. A lot of them involve going around to different parts of the camp and playing games, but there are activities like the lip-sync and Nawakawood skit night, which involve performing, but then again if the other people in your cabin (or tent or dorm) aren’t into it, it kinda stinks.

The counselors are great, for the most part. A lot of them are

from other countries, so it’s a cool cultural connection. Oh yeah, and some of the male counselors are HOT! I’ve seen some gorgeous counselors in my years at Nawaka, and they make Nawaka a better place.

One thing I liked was that most people from Nawaka are from Massachusetts, specifically the greater Boston area, so it’s easy to stay in touch and reunite with camp friends outside of camp. My sister was so lucky when one of her camp friends actually moved to out town! And I dated a Nawaka guy for two years, and we were able to see each other every weekend because we only lived ten miles apart.

However, one aspect of the social scene wasn’t so great. With people coming and going every weekend, you don’t have a lot of time to really make close friends, unless you and your friends are both there for a while. But you usually only get to hang out for a week or two, and then the next year you may end up going at different sessions, it’s not like there’s a “Week Two” crowd or anything.

Camp Nawaka is a pretty good camp, I would reccomend it to anyone who likes the outdoors and meeting new people.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381104335650730/k2311a0411/4.11.08