Movie Midnight Express
  • After a first sentence of three years of imprisonment (which I consider quite reasonable for a silly mistake made in youth), the court overrules the prior decision and announces a new sentence above thirty years

• by Ashbiz

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

Midnight Express is one of the most dramatic movies I have seen. This is the true story of Billy Hayes who has been jailed for drug trafficking in Turkey. Within the walls of the prison, Billy Hayes (played by late Brad Davis) will live a lifetime nightmare. The films marked me in a number of ways:

First, there is the claustrophobic atmosphere of the prison. Frankly speaking, I wonder how people can be kept in such a dark and suffocating place. It is as if the inmates are lacking air inside (let alone fresh air). The walls are made of old

and decaying bricks. Even Fox River in Prison Break would amount to a palace in comparison to this. This is a place I would never dare to penetrate.

Moreover, the guards are really fearful. The fact that they are prepared to torture someone mercilessly for insignificant matters is scary to death. Billy Hayes experiences the bastinado and each and every hit he received gives me a pang and I clench my fist. No one should undergo such a treatment. This scene is so powerful and it is not advisable for sensitive souls. The guards leave a sadistic image of themselves.

I also ...

• find Billy’s desperation totally unbearable. You have only desire, i.e. to free him from this hell. You can especially feel this when he is visited by his girlfriend and he bursts into tears. His frustration at his failed attempts to escape is transmitted to the viewer and that also contributes to make it unbearable. His last successful attempt when he kills the guard (who was trying to abuse him) brings so much relief.

Finally I find the Turkish judicial system completely disgusting. After a first sentence of three years of imprisonment (which I consider quite reasonable for a silly mistake

made in youth), the court overrules the prior decision and announces a new sentence above thirty years. This is a pure sort of sadism on the part of the judiciary. I felt the shock instantly. I see this as a complete 360 degree reversal.

Therefore, Midnight Express is a great movie showing you patience and courage. Brad Davis is absolutely convincing. However, the atmosphere is quite dark. The movie is based on the autobiography of Billy Hayes. Although the film is quite dated, it is still very powerful.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11604332700430/k2311a046/4.6.08