Royal Mail  » General services  »
2.0
  • Despite the rising cost of postage, the delivery of mail is not getting any better
  • I think this system causes confusion and is another way of making the customer spend more on postage
  • I believe they are as unhappy with the way the service is managed as their customers are

• by Ruth B

There are plenty of private companies which will collect and deliver packets, packages and other items of mail. The British national postal service, known as Royal Mail,is still the biggest handler of letters, cards and small packets within the U.K. I am not the only one to notice how bad the service has become. It has been reported in the British press and in the media. Despite the rising cost of postage, the delivery of mail is not getting any better.

Royal Mail used to deliver twice daily. Now there is one delivery per day. I used to get my first mail delivery at around 8 a.m.

so I could have my mail before I went out to work. Now my only delivery comes late in the morning, sometimes at lunchtime or even later in the afternoon.

Royal mail has a two-tier postage system for letters and cards, giving a choice of first class or second class postage rates. It used to be that a first class stamp would ensure that the letter would be delivered the following day. Now if I want something to arrive next day I have to post it before 9 a.m. Even then there is no guarantee it will get there next day. On my birthday I received some ...

• cards on the day itself and some the following day. All of them had first class stamps. For guaranteed next-day-delivery there is a much higher postal charge to pay.

Royal Mail has also changed the way postage is charged and now large letters or small packets are charged by size as well as by weight. So even sending a large greetings card will cost more than sending a smaller one. I think this system causes confusion and is another way of making the customer spend more on postage.

I used to be able to post mail on a Sunday at some post boxes and it would be collected

that day. Sunday postal collections from post boxes have now been stopped so there are no collections at all between midday Saturday and Monday morning. Even if I use a first class stamp at the weekend it is going to be two or three days minimum before the letter is delivered.

I don’t blame the postal workers for the decline in service. I believe they are as unhappy with the way the service is managed as their customers are. I don’t mind paying more for my postage if I get a better service but things seem no better since the last increase in price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 25604332600430/k2311a046/4.6.08