Hotel Monaco San Francisco  » Hotels  »
San Francisco
  • He really enjoyed talking about the whole history and took pride in the hotel
  • Everything is made from nothing but the best materials
  • There is a real history behind all of this and I thought it was immensely interesting
  • When we entered the room, the first thing I thought was Oh my God, this is a small room and it was

• by amandafishy

First of all I have to warn you, this place is expensive, but it is worth every cent.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the guest services manager. We went thru the registration process and he asked whether we would like to have the background of the hotel and the area now or later. Since they took our bags up for us, we decided to rest a bit and have him talk to us later. This gentleman did this for the most of the day. He really enjoyed talking about the whole history and took pride in the hotel.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. Everything is made from nothing but the best materials. There is a real history behind all of this and I thought it was immensely interesting. Now that I have come this far, it is neccessary for me to digress. The guest services manager explained to us what all happened and how the hotel came to be. In the early 1900’s the Monaco was called something else. Then came the San Francisco earthquake and the previous hotel was nothing but a shambles. The rubble for the old

hotel was what some of the hotel Monaco was built from. I love all the history.

There is a large staircase was built from the gray marble of the previous hotel that was destroyed by the earthquake. The fireplace and the floor of the lobby are also constructed from this marble. It is a site to see. The lobby is alsolutely huge with extremely tall ceilings, possibly 20 plus feet high. The walls are beautiful peach tan. There are large semi-circular windows in the lobby - they are awesome. The fireplace is nearly as tall as the ceiling. The tan/peach and the grey fireplace make a spectacular picture. There is a complimentary carpet that is really difficult to explain. The whole picture was lovely. From the ceiling hang 2 circular light chandeliers - I don’t even know how to explain what they are. There are mirrors all over the lobby and at the end by the fireplace are paintings of the sky with clouds. The doorways in and out of the lobby are all curved. It is all extremely attractive and well thought out and had an early 1900’s look ...

• to it.

As we traveled to our room, the hallways were all a bit unusual too. I never would have painted the hallways red and white, but they did. When we entered the room, the first thing I thought was Oh my God, this is a small room and it was. Everything was beautiful. The bed had a canopy on it, very feminine. The room was painted in a creamy green and white. Everything in the room was antique. There was an incredibly beautiful armoire which hid the TV. There were only two conventional lights in the room, the rest were beautiful fixtures on the walls that looked very much like lillies. The room had beautiful white crown molding. It made the room look small also. The sofa and chairs were all nicely upolstered and they all had extremely high backs. There was an antique telephone and internet connection on the desk. All in all it was a bit cramped.

The bathroom was really nice. It too was very classic. Wow, and I walked in there and there were fresh flowers, mums and daisies and 2 orange roses. There

was a little basket filled with shampoo, lotion and of all things q-tips. I have never seen q-tips in with shampoo and stuff. I couldn’t believe it the toilet paper had HM embosses on it. I wonder what that cost them.

There were 2 nice bathrobes in the bathroom and another telephone. The bathroom counter was also that grey marble. There was a large antique mirror in the bathroom. There was a combination tub and shower that was “dressed” to look antique. It basically covered it up with a luxurious curtain. We also we given personal coffee mugs for their special coffee. It was extremely good coffee.

The bed was very comfortable and the quilt and sheets were tagged Egyptian cotton. It was all very luxurious and romantic. You can have room service delivered 24/7. There was a mini bar with a couple of bottles of high end brandy.

The price for a room like this was $220 but everything was done for you or complimentary. I really didn’t want to leave, but we were expected to be somewhere else on our vacation. I do want to come back again. It was a wonderful experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2404331800230/k2311a044/4.4.08