The Night Listener movie
  • But it was way more interesting than I thought it would be
  • But I am glad that I decided to give it another chance

• by Famous

When I first popped this DVD in, I was a little apprehensive about watching Robin Williams portray another homosexual character in a film. It wasn’t until I did a little research, and realized that this film was based on a novel, which in turn was based on a true story. The author of the book, “The Night Listener” met a young man who claimed to be about 14 or 15 years old.

Apparently this young man had been abused physically and sexually as a child. And he was ultimately adopted by a blind woman named Donna.

As it turns out (SPOILER ALERT!) the woman who adopted the boy had made up the whole story. In fact, the author was not even sure whether the boy ever existed.

You really need to see the film to understand the woman’s motives.

• If you can get past the first 20 minutes of the film or so (this part deals with Robin Williams’ character’s break-up with his boyfriend) - then you will probably enjoy the mounting suspense.

A word of advice when watching this film: Please don’t expect lots of jolts or riveting surprises. This film is as much a character study as it is a “thriller.

” And as the DVD extra

feature suggests, it’s more of an “emotional” thriller than other films. The fear you’ll feel (if you’re sensitive to these types of movies) will be more of an introverted creeping out.

It’s not your average movie. But it was way more interesting than I thought it would be.

In fact, I was ready to return it to Netflix. But I am glad that I decided to give it another chance.

The Night Listener movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11404331520230/k2311a044/4.4.08