Graceland Memphis TN
Memphis Tennessee
  • It is an interesting experience, one you won't soon forget
  • The inside of the mansion definitely had his touch and you could see it was home especially in the kitchen all the original stuff is in there

• by amandafishy

First of all, I don’t believe he is dead!!! Beside that point, this is my take of Graceland.

If you have never been to Graceland, you really should go. It is an interesting experience, one you won’t soon forget. I did lots of readying about Elvis and actually walking through Graceland Mansion made the things I read in the book come alive.

If you buy the platinum tour they take you all over the estate, but I really wanted to see “where he lived”. The original property was on 10 acres which he bought for $100,000. I have read several books about the mansion and it seems that they may have changed a bit of the furnishings and what not to match more of the 1950’s style. I was a bit disappointed with this. I had hoped that the house was pretty much in the state it was when he walked out the door for the last time.

The inside of the mansion definitely had his touch and you could see it was home especially in the kitchen all the original stuff is in there.. It was just a regular kitchen. Nothing extreme

but what was generally common in the 1970’s. You are not allowed to tour the upstairs. His bedroom is up there and we were told that Lisa Marie didn’t want anyone up there.

He had some really different tastes in furniture and I would probably call it eclectic. It was a jumble of different things, but all of it was very expensive for it’s time. The living room has red shag carpeting, red satin curtains and red furniture. It is a bit shocking when you see it. My husband said that was something he would have never picked, too loud. The music room has the big black grand piano and they spent a lot of time in there. It sounded like Lisa Mara and Priscilla’s dogs spent a lot of time listening to Elvis play and sing at the piano. What a beautiful memory this has to be for Lisa Marie. Gladys and Vernon Presley’s bedroom was really simple. You could see they were simple people and it was really reflected in the bedroom.

The dining room wasn’t at all simple. The dining table was huge and ...

• there was a tremendous cut glass chandelier over it. There were pictures around the room showing Lisa Marie during Christmas time. It was really nice. The press puts the Presleys on such an untouchable stage but by all other standards, they were just common people with money.

The basement pool room was probably the strangest room in the house. It was decorated with yards and yards of cotton fabric all folded across the ceiling and the walls. That had to have been quite a job. I had never seen something like that before. Elvis and his guys spent a lot of time in the pool room. From there we went into the TV room that was another strange site. The colors are all yellow and blue in the room. He proudly displayed his TCB logo in the room. There were 3 TV’s right next to one another, a stereo system and jukebox system that had speakers in most every room in the house. I guess down here is where he shot one of the TV sets. On the wall is a sample of the huge collection of

records he had. I guess there were thousands of records.

Our next stop was the jungle room. From what I understand he just saw this carved type of furniture in a window display somewhere and had to have it. There is a small waterfall in the room and that 1970’s shag again only this time in that avocado green. The office is a separate building. It looks just like it did in some of the old pictures with Colonel Parker.

The meditation garden has the 4 graves. His mom, dad, grandmother, his own and his twin. The fans always leave memorials at the graves there are teddy bears and flowers usually strewn all over the place. It is quite a site. Actually, the meditation garden looked quite run down and I couldn’t figure out why they would let that happen, especially with all the money that comes into Graceland.

I loved the tour, but hated the tour guides. They were just sour! I am sure they go over and over and over this stuff with people and are pretty dull to it and sick of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 59304330540330/k2311a043/4.3.08