John Woo’s 7 Brothers  » Books  »
  • I have been fairly impressed with the relatively new Virgin Comics
  • It definitely does have the feel of a good rollicking action film, which is both good and bad
  • I think an extra issue would have done well to solve these pacing problems

• by Simon Alazar

I have been fairly impressed with the relatively new Virgin Comics. I wasn’t expecting a great deal from them, however the couple of titles I have read I have rather liked (especially Ramayan 3392 AD). So I was somewhat optimistic when I picked up this title: John Woo’s 7 Brothers.

The one

thing that bothered me was, well, John Woo. I have never been a fan of his movies. Face/Off, for example, is quite possibly the worst action movie ever made in my humble opinion. However, I was heartened by the fact Garth Ennis would be doing the actual writing (Woo was only providing the story). Garth Ennis is a writer that I usually enjoy.

When I finally did get around to reading 7 Brothers, the results were a bit of a mixed bag. It definitely does have the feel of a good rollicking action film, which is both good and bad.

• John Woo's 7 Brothers
      It feels like the story was a bit compressed for space: it is all set-up, which leads very quickly into the ultimate finale. I think an extra issue would have done well to solve these pacing problems.

Overall, though, 7 Brothers is a pretty entertaining read, and the artwork is

fantastic. Fans of Ennis will definitely enjoy this one, as he holds back nothing in his cutting dialogue and sometimes quite violent action scenes. While the ending was somewhat predictable, that is to be expected with a story like this, and the real point is to enjoy the ride which I certainly did.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17304330280330/k2311a043/4.3.08