The Sitting Bull Crystal caverns  » Travel  »
Rapid City SD, 57709 ( 9 miles south of Rapid City on Hwy 16. the road to Mt Rushmore)
  • The problem I had was the fact that heights and I do not get along and I found that climbing underground is just as challenging as above and I held the tour up as I was so slow but thankfully the guide and my fellow cavers were extremely patient and encouraging which meant I got round the full tour and missed nothing
  • Be sure to take plenty of photos this place is amazing

• by Lucas

The Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns are a real adventure to visit. The cave itself was first explored and developed by Alex Duhamel and his sons in 1929 and has been host to many visitors since 1934.

Touring this cave in the Black Hills of SD will take you deep (and I mean deep) within the Paha Sapa Limestone. Once you have arrived in the cave you will find yourself surrounded by the world’s largest Dog-Tooth spar

crystals. They are amazing.

The tour itself usually lasts about 45 minutes and the cave is always cool so take a long a light jacket or sweater and be sure to wear rubber soled shoes.

There is a notice warning that the tour involves strenuous climbing. Take that warning seriously. You will have to enter the cave by climbing straight down on a long ladder and then will have to climb back out. The problem I had ...

• was the fact that heights and I do not get along and I found that climbing underground is just as challenging as above and I held the tour up as I was so slow but thankfully the guide and my fellow cavers were extremely patient and encouraging which meant I got round the full tour and missed nothing.

Once having descended the stairway you will move along to Diamond lake, the Chandelier Room, the

Petrified Fish Crevasse, The Crystal Palace, the Flood Room and the Ghost Chamber. Be sure to take plenty of photos this place is amazing.

The Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns are open seven days a week June thru September.

Needless to say there is the obligatory gift store to wander round after the tour with a whole bunch of Native American Arts and crafts and one of a kind toys for you to purchase as gifts and souvenirs.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38304329730230/k2311a043/4.3.08