Raw Food Diet  » Health  »
  • Within days my eyes were clearer, my skin glowed, I had more energy, rashes disappeared, etc. Unfortunately, many raw foodists will claim you need to go 100% to feel true results and that if you don't go cold turkey and quit ALL cooked food, you will never succeed
  • Another huge problem is that this diet is incredibly expensive
  • Stocking my cabinet with the staples listed in the beginning of several raw food books cost me $400 in one week
  • So while I respect the raw food diet and even hope to attain it one day, I do not approve of ignoring the fact that a transitional phase may be necessary for many people and that switching 100% may not always be the best

• by Angela Young

The Raw food diet consist of only eating foods that have not been heated to the point where enzymes are deactivated, around 118 degrees. There are several raw food books and websites to help you along the way. I have found that eating raw food indeed does bring you great benefits. Within days my eyes were clearer, my skin glowed, I had more energy, rashes disappeared, etc. Unfortunately, many raw foodists will claim you need to go 100% to feel true results and that if you don’t go cold turkey and quit ALL cooked food, you will never succeed.

Now, This poses several problems. One is that if you stray and eat a bit of cooked food you feel like you’ve failed and ruined your whole diet. Another is the intense detox that switching from cooked to 100% raw will induce. Some claim it’s only a little discomfort for a few

days. Untrue! For some lucky folks it may be, but for many others who have grown up on the standard Amercian diet the detox is intense, renders you unable to function, and can make you sick enough to want to go to the emergency room. How am I supposed to work? How am I supposed to take care of my family if I’m lying deathly ill in bed? Another huge problem is that this diet is incredibly expensive. You’re supposed to buy organic produce, a huge majority of recipes call for expensive items such as raw nuts and coconut butter, and everything must be fresh. Just making green smoothies (1 quart each) and green juice (20 oz. each) for my husband and I cost around $80 a week (and I was cheating and buying some produce from Costco)! Plus, the juice and smoothie only held us until noon. Stocking ...

• my cabinet with the “staples” listed in the beginning of several raw food books cost me $400 in one week. And trust me, these aren’t ingredients that will go very far. Several recipes use an entire jar of $12 almond butter.

So while I respect the raw food diet and even hope to attain it one day, I do not approve of ignoring the fact that a transitional phase may be necessary for many people and that switching 100% may not always be the best. And please don’t tell me I can’t put a price on my health. I found that infuriating. Look, if I can’t afford to spend a small fortune every week feeding my family raw food, I can’t afford it. I also have no access to co-ops, farmers markets, or a garden. My ground is frozen 2/3rds of the year. This diet is excellent, but it

is also a luxury and raw foodists should try to understand that. Also, for those of you who want to try it. If you just go some raw and make healthy changes to your diet like eating whole grains instead of white, refined stuff, and clear your house of regular processed foods like cereals laden with corn syrup and chips, and slowly wean yourself off of animal products, you will notice dramatic improvements in your health and will see results even though you’re not hardcore 100%. Read “Raw Detox Diet”, it’s the most realistic book out there. Now if you’re trying to cure yourself of cancer, then 100% might be for you.

In general, if you’re going to tackle the raw way of life. Just do it to the extent that it feels right for you and go from there. As long as you are consistently trying to make healthier choices and improvements, you are succeeding.

Raw Food Diet

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 343103327610731/k2311a0331/3.31.08