GIMP
  • I own a Photoshop CS2 and I think compared to GIMP, with almost all the features now the same (when you familiarize yourself), buying CS3 is just a waste of cash
  • It doesn't have those hang-up moments you commonly experience in other image editing software
  • I showed me the most it has to offer and I for one am very impressed

• by J. J. P.

GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) is an open source image editing software completely free to download and use. Starting small as a simple image editing application, it has come a long way through various tweaks and bug-fixes with the help of the developmental team at GUG. Because of the effort and the brainstorming involved in this program, GIMP, for me, is proven to be a growing competitor to the expensive Adobe Photoshop.

I have been a die-hard GIMP fanatic for more than a year and I couldn’t be happier with what

it has provided me. Seeing the progress it has grown since my first use, the development was just spectacular. I own a Photoshop CS2 and I think compared to GIMP, with almost all the features now the same (when you familiarize yourself), buying CS3 is just a waste of cash. GIMP is faster and runs as if you were running Microsoft Word. It doesn’t have those hang-up moments you commonly experience in other image editing software. It is very reliable and flexible. You can do anything with it as long
      as you know what tool to use or how to combine the effects. And for all that you get it absolutely free! So why waste you money on any other app?

The one thing I was unhappy though was when I first started using it. I mean, it was like a puzzle for me I didn’t know what to use to yield a certain effect; what tool does what and I just didn’t know what was happening. This program is not for beginners. You have to take effort in learning the ...

• GIMP
      program first before knowing it’s true value, unlike other software with their easy-to-use templates. But when you get the hang of it you’ll find something more to GIMP that you’ll probably love.

Another thing I sort of wondered about this program is why it doesn’t have a shape maker. It’s got all these cool features including animation by frames but not auto-shapes? I have to copy paste shapes from paint or something just to get some circles and squares. But I hope they will include that sometime on the next release

cause it think many user are wondering the same thing.

Over all GIMP is a very remarkable piece of human ingenuity. I showed me the most it has to offer and I for one am very impressed. I use it everyday for editing the photos I sell and it even earns me money. I also use it for web designing and I can tell you, you won’t see the difference of an image done with an expensive editor to that done with a free one. It is simply a work of ART itself.

GIMP

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302803325580831/k2311a0328/3.28.08