Taraji Henson (actress)  » People  »
  • And when I found out that she was actually singing in Hustle and Flow, I was even more impressed
  • She's an interesting young woman who has a lot more to offer than Hollywood seems to be letting on

• by Famous

I was so not into Taraji Henson when I first saw her on screen. The movie was “Baby Boy”—another one of those “Boyz N da Hood” type films wherein the young ‘brother’ is trying to make his way in the world despite the ghetto surroundings of his daily life. In that film, his main love interest was Taraji Henson, who I felt - did too good a job in maintaining that miserable ghetto

princess lifestyle.

But so many women I spoke with said that they identified with her in that movie. I was disappointed to hear that.

And from that point on, I was turned off by her as an actress. But fast forward a few years later, and I saw her again in “Talk to Me” starring Don Cheadle and also “Hustle and Flow” starring Terrence Howard.

Both of these actors ...

• garner a lot of respect in Hollywood. And these two films were standout films of their year.

What surprised me even more was that Taraji seemed able to “stretch” a bit. And when I found out that she was actually singing in “Hustle and Flow,” I was even more impressed.

Granted, the music is straight gangsta hip-hop. And all she sung was a hook.

But I

admire an actress who lends other talents to a film. In any case, I won’t say that she’s a great actress.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing her attack some juicier roles. I am also glad to say that I don’t hear a lot of tacky gossip about her in the tabloids.

She’s an interesting young woman who has a lot more to offer than Hollywood seems to be letting on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522703324570131/k2311a0327/3.27.08