JEWELRY INSURANCE  » Jewelry  »
  • I found that most people think that their HomeOwner's policy will cover any loss that they might incur regarding their jewelry
  • I never took out the extra policy that is needed to cover such any amount of jewelry theft, because I had so much jewelry, that just getting it appraised would have cost a fortune, alone
  • I suggest, that you make a list of your jewelry, keep receipts, and on the list, or journal, keep tabs of every piece of jewelry you own
  • Be prepared for the worst, and pray for the best

• by covenly1
      I used to be a claims’ adjuster for Traveler’s Insurance, years ago. I found that most people think that their HomeOwner’s policy will cover any loss that they might incur regarding their jewelry. This is really something that should be explained to people. I have a standard HomeOwners Policy, and I HAD hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of extremely nice jewelry. This is because my family is full of jewelers. I never took out the extra policy that is needed to cover such any amount of jewelry theft, because I had so much jewelry, that just getting it appraised would have cost a fortune, alone! That sounds really silly, and I guess, it was!

I had a jewelry theft, and ALL my jewelry was stolen.

I had to make the police report, trying to remember ALL my jewelry descriptions, and I wasn’t able to do that, well. I suggest, that you make a list of your jewelry, keep receipts, and on the list, or journal, keep tabs of every piece of jewelry you own. You just might be surprised at the appraisals your jewels might get. They get appraised very highly, often,

when you don’t think they will be. Take pictures of your jewelry, even if you do not get it appraised.

Make sure you can prove you ever HAD the jewelry!

After you have made your jewelry journal, remember, jewelry goes UP in value, it does not depreciate. I had an insurance man actually attempt to depreciate my jewelry, when one ring was stolen. I set him straight, though. He agreed, said he forgot. (Furs and jewels appreciate!).

If you do not insure your jewelry, separately, with your HomeOwners or Renters policy, you will find that only a very small percentage will be covered. For my hundreds of thousands of dollars worth, I was allowed $2,000. I could not have replaced one of my rings for that. Being stubborn as I am, I went out and actually FOUND the store that HAD a great deal of my jewelry FOR SALE!

When I found the jewelry, the store owner said he had not taken down the name of the person who brought IN the jewelry. He said he had not written down how much he PAID for the jewelry.

I asked him how this could ...

• be, as he would need to show THAT for taxes. He assured me he didn’t NEED to keep books. At first, he wasn’t going to give me BACK my jewelry, either. It wasn’t all of it, but, it was a huge amount of it! Since, I had described most of the jewelry for the police, I told the store owner that the police had these particular pieces on the ’stolen’ list, and that I would be letting them know HE had them. The man decided to return a lot of my jewelry, but, never gave me all of it.

He kept saying, “I am the victim, here! I paid $60 for that piece!”……………he paid $60 for a 5 ct. yellow diamond with 2 cts of trillian diamonds on the sides of it? He wondered why I wanted my jewelry back? Since the man refused to return ALL my jewelry, and kept insisting that he didn’t have any books for his buying and selling, I turned him into the IRS. I, sincerely, hope that the IRS checked him out. I have owned many businesses, and I’ve never owned one without books!

Please, take the

advice regarding keeping a jewelry journal, at least. Put down when you bought your jewelry, have a picture of it, describe the cts of stones or gold/silver, whatever, and be as precise as possible.

If you can afford it, get the jewelry appraised. If you can afford it, keep the extra policy that does cover your jewelry losses. You really don’t realize how upsetting, depressing and totally depressing it is to come home to find all your sentimental jewelry pieces just gone. If you have it properly insured, you may replace part of the jewelry, at least. Jewelry is usually very sentimental.

I know mine was/is. Family jewelry is extremely sentimental……. and I even had my mother’s wedding ring stolen, never to be recovered. That really hurt, as she died a few years ago. Stay insured, keep your jewelry journal, take pictures, keep dates of when you acquired your jewels.

Be prepared for the worst. You don’t expect your home to burn down, but, I’ll bet you have fire insurance, right? It happens. Don’t let it be even worse, because you didn’t keep track of what you have. Be prepared for the worst, and pray for the best!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 45230132330231/k2311a0123/1.23.06