Greyhound Breed  » Pets  »
  • I found out very soon that those were myths about greyhounds
  • The other issue is that if you have a child under 5 usually they will not adopt to you
  • I learned a lot about not only how to take care of a greyhound, but training dogs and how dogs minds work in general
  • I would recommend owning a greyhound to almost anyone

• by Bobi

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

My boyfriend came home from the state fair one day with information about adopting a retired racing greyhound. My first thought was “OH NO” we are not adopting a retired racer. I had the same thoughts as most people, such as; they are going to run all over the house, they have to run everyday, they are really big and hyper, they are mean because they have never been socialized and so on… I found out very soon that those were myths about greyhounds. I read some information on them and then we decided we wanted to adopt one.

When I called the adoption agency GPA-MN, they told me that I had to first buy one of the books that were on their website and read that to learn more about greyhounds before they would adopt to us. The other

issue is that if you have a child under 5 usually they will not adopt to you. If you have a child from the age of 6-8 you have to buy a second book called child proofing your dog.

So we decided to buy the books and read up some more on owning a greyhound. At first I thought, this is really crazy having to read two books just to adopt a dog! Then, after starting to read the book, I changed my mind. The book had so much information about greyhounds! I learned a lot about not only how to take care of a greyhound, but training dogs and how dogs minds work in general.

We then called the adoption agency back and set up a time and place to meet the greyhound, who’s racing name was Jake Begone.

• We got to the house first and met 3 greyhounds that were there. They were very excited to see people and energetic, beautiful hounds! When Jake came in the house he was a big boy that just seemed to keep coming through the door with no end.

He was very calm and had a great demeanor. He was very soft, and a beautiful brindle color with a white chest and white tail tip. We had a lot of questions for the adoption agent as we observed how Jake interacted in the house and with my son.

After about a 3 hour meeting and playing with Jake we decided we wanted to adopt him. GPA-MN(adoption agency) has a policy that when you are a first time adopter you have to wait for 24 hours before you can take the hound, so

there is no buyers remorse. We went to Petco and bought everything we would need for Jake, and then spent the night at my sisters house waiting to pick up our boy.

The next morning we picked up Jake and brought him home. He was wonderful! We had so much fun learning about him and teaching him tricks. He is very smart and learned rules and tricks very quickly.

After owning a greyhound, there are not many other breeds that we would own. I would recommend owning a greyhound to almost anyone. You have to have the dedication to learn about the special qualities and needs of a greyhound and be committed to taking care of a hound that needs a little more than a common lab.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292303322531131/k2311a0323/3.23.08