Ikea  » Furniture  »
  • I was so impressed with the price that I bought two sets and thought I´d give it a go with the self assembly
  • I think they´re very sturdy, the chairs are quite heavy which I´m pleased with, I noticed when we had bad stormy weather the chairs hardly moved
  • I´ve also bought drawers for the bedrooms, mirrors, a rotating cd rack (this is now 15 years old and if it wasn´t for my partner trying to pick it up from the lid instead of from the bottom with all the cd´s in it, it would still be in one piece, it is now held together with glue because I like it so much)
  • Another item I bought a few months ago that I love are candles, they have a fantastic range but I just wanted some simple white dining candles for the table in the dining room
  • In my opinion, Ikea is great for normal everyday furniture, which is quite cheap and cheerful, great for kitting out bedsits, student rooms, first homes etc. It´s never going to be an antique and increase in value every year but is good value for money and there are some great ideas for storage solutions too

• by Nevaeh

You can now usually find an Ikea store somewhere near you as they cover Europe, the Middle East, North America and Asia Pacific.

Not surprisingly as they do offer competitively low priced furniture and household products.

I have purchased quite a few items over the years from Ikea and overall have been pleased with my buys.

Recently I have bought a Bjorkudden/Bertil solid birch table and 4 chairs set this was priced at 75 euros. You buy most of their furniture flat packed and you have to assemble it yourself. This put me off for many years as I have experienced self assembly traumas in the past.

I was so impressed with the price that I bought two sets and thought I´d give it a go with the self assembly.

I have a large enclosed veranda upstairs and needed either a

very large table or two tables with seating for 8 people, our home is also used as a bed and breakfast mostly in the summer months so I wanted something that looked nice, not tacky and it needed to be servicable.

I was very pleased with the putting together of the table and chairs, the diagrams were simple and easy to use and you get (I don´t know what they call them but I suppose it´s like an alan key, it´s metal and in the shape of an L and is used for the screws for the furniture. It took me about 3/4´s of an hour to put 1 table together and the 4 chairs.

I have had this furniture now for 6 months on the veranda, it is semi-closed but can catch a bit of wind and rain,

• I am very surprised how well they´ve weathered the winter. I´ve given them a polish and they´re as good as new.

I think they´re very sturdy, the chairs are quite heavy which I´m pleased with, I noticed when we had bad stormy weather the chairs hardly moved.

I´ve also bought drawers for the bedrooms, mirrors, a rotating cd rack (this is now 15 years old and if it wasn´t for my partner trying to pick it up from the lid instead of from the bottom with all the cd´s in it, it would still be in one piece, it is now held together with glue because I like it so much).

I have bought many kitchen utensils such as pots and pans, chopping boards, glasses, cups, personally I find Ikea second to none when it comes to buying kitchen assessories,

I find they are of good quality, good design and very reasonably priced.

Another item I bought a few months ago that I love are candles, they have a fantastic range but I just wanted some simple white dining candles for the table in the dining room. What I like about them the most is the way they melt down the candle stick, leaving beautiful rustic patterns, not all candle wax does this as effectively and I found that they lasted a long time.

In my opinion, Ikea is great for normal everyday furniture, which is quite cheap and cheerful, great for kitting out bedsits, student rooms, first homes etc. It´s never going to be an antique and increase in value every year but is good value for money and there are some great ideas for storage solutions too.

Ikea

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 571803320750831/k2311a0318/3.18.08