Hamsters  » Pets  »
  • My only experience with pet rodents was a gerbil that bit me hard when I was his age
  • However, after some degree of research and interaction with other people's hamsters, I found myself at the pet store helping my son pick out a teddy bear hamster
  • However, I strongly recommend you obtain one that is quite young and used to being handled

• by jcnash

When my then 13-year-old son relentlessly pleaded for a hamster, I was very skeptical. My only experience with pet rodents was a gerbil that bit me hard when I was his age.

However, after some degree of research and interaction with other people’s hamsters, I found myself at the pet store helping my son pick out a “teddy bear”

hamster.

These adorable little creatures really do live up to their name.

However, I strongly recommend you obtain one that is quite young and used to being handled.

Although the “teddy bear” or Syrian Long-Haired hamster is known for its furriness and cuddly appearence, there are many other breeds of hamsters also make great pets.

The key is to buy them when they are very young and are used to being handled.

Hamsters, by nature, are nocturnal, so be prepared to hear things that go bump in the night.

Hamsters are easy to care for, requiring only a water bottle and a dish of food that is always available to them.

Cage cleaning can be done at ...

• Hamsters
      one-week intervals but do sure you purchase a cage that is easy to clean.

Hamsters do require exercise when they are awake, so the cage must have a wheel which either comes with the cage or can be purchased separately.

I strongly recommend the newer, quiet plastic wheels that can be attached to any cage.

You will also need

a plastic ball to put the hamster in for exercise outside of the cage.

Hamsters are escape artists, so be sure everything you put your pet into is inescapable.

Tame hamsters do enjoy social contact with humans and crave attention during their waking hours, so be sure to give your little buddy some time out of the cage with you.

Hamsters

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291703320580531/k2311a0317/3.17.08