Carlsbad Cavern New Mexico  » Travel  »
New Mexico
  • There also are handrails and as long as you aren't running through the cave you shouldn't have a problem
  • The cost to take this tour is $8 to me this is extremely reasonable for the caliber of this tour
  • In my opinion this is the best part of the caverns
  • I thought why would they do this, so I asked

• by amandafishy

There is only one word for the caverns and that is “awesome”. It is a bit hard explain without pictures and each portion of the caves is different. My husband and I went on the Kings Palace tour. Just in case you think that the caves are difficult to walk on they aren’t. All the trails are paved and they are effectively lit so you don’t tumble over things. There also are handrails and as long as you aren’t running through the cave you shouldn’t have a problem. It is suggested that you wear tennis shoes or hiking shoes with a good grip. You should also take along a jacket, sweater or sweatshirt because it gets in the mid 50’s, but it is extremely humid. Camera’s and flashlights are also

allowed. It might be a good idea to take them along in case there is something you would specifically like to take a picture of or a feature you can’t see very well. There are rock benches for you to sit on in the event you need to stop and rest.

There are “guides or rangers” all along the cave route. The King’s Palace tour is a good 1 ½ hours of walking you exit the tour by elevator. The cost to take this tour is $8 to me this is extremely reasonable for the caliber of this tour. In my opinion this is the best part of the caverns. The guides give excellent explanations of the history of the caverns and how the formations were made through audio ...

• systems which were hung around our neck. There are just an unbelievable variety of formations. Most of which are unpronounceable for me soda straws, helectites, draperies and plenty more. The guides will not allow you to touch any of the features because they are so delicate and easily destroyed. If you are afraid of the dark, then you shouldn’t be going down there. During the program the guides will turn off the lights to show just how unbelievably dark it is in the cave. At that point the guide said that we were 800 some feet down. The chambers are extremely bedecked in stone features.

I was a bit surprised to see that there were restrooms a couple of hundred feet below ground. That and there was

a place to get snacks too. I thought why would they do this, so I asked. They have had diabetics need to have sugar on the way down. Rather than have someone pass out they provided a rest stop. I thought this was so thoughtful. The great room is the high point of the Palace and there are many “extreme” formations down here. If you have a person who can’t take the walking, there are more than welcome to take the elevator down to the Great Room. It is an absolute steal at $8 and there is no reason not to see it, and every reason to see it. For kids it is extremely educational. The guides are like teachers and the kids just love it, expecially since this is so different.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381603319710731/k2311a0316/3.16.08