San Miguel Mission Santa Fe  » Travel  »
Santa Fe, NM
  • It was impressive and the cost was minimal, I think we paid $2.00 a piece but we left money in the charity box on the inner door of the chapel

• by robsmom

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

When we were in San Antonio several years ago I go hooked on old missions that were built in the 1600’s through the 1800’s, this was a part of our heritage and something I would never see on the East coast. So when we were in Santa Fe, NM a few years ago I talked my son and husband into going with me to the San Miguel Mission, in Santa Fe.

New Mexico.

I had read

that it was still an active church and held mass each Sunday and I wanted to see it.

This was the oldest church in Santa Fe, and the Brother that was in the Mission told us that the construction began on the chapel in 1626 and was built by Indian slaves.

He also told us that the mission was almost destroyed during the Pueblo revolt in the 1608’s and then was renovated in the early 1700’s ...

• by the Spanish.

The place was awesome, there were old religious icons which lined the walls on either side of us as we walked through the stucco building.

What was really impressive was these two buffalo hides that were painted to communicate and convert the Indians to Catholism.

Behind the alter we could see the original flooring of the Mission.

When we went into the gift shop there was the San Jose Bell with a

small hammer next to it, you could actually hit the bell and hear what it sounded like.

It was impressive and the cost was minimal, I think we paid $2 a piece but we left money in the charity box on the inner door of the chapel.

I also like the wooden painted statue of San Miguel that stood near the entrance it was impressive.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381603319011231/k2311a0316/3.16.08