The Horror of the Heights
  • I've read most of Conan Doyle's stories about Sherlock Holmes, so I decided to give his other stories a try

• by Steve

I’ve read most of Conan Doyle’s stories about Sherlock Holmes, so I decided to give his other stories a try. One of his horror tales, The Horror of the Heights, is actually better than I expected it to be.

Doyle claims to be copying what was found in the journal of a

fallen pilot whose plane was found scattered all over England. The journal talks about the pilot’s adventure to fly above 30,000 feet, and once he reaches 40,000 feet, he comes across a flying monster with a beak and tentacles.

Overall, the story really isn’t that scary. But, it does give some insight ...

• into the early days of aviation and some of the beliefs that were likely going around at the time. I’m not a pilot so I’m not sure how accurate some of the technical stuff is. But, I did find some of the information very informative and it really allowed me to
        gain a new appreciation for pilots at that time because of the challenges they faced in relatively ancient equipment.

This story is a far cry from Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories. But, it gives an excellent insight into the talents of the author by giving you a different story to base your opinions on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171303317420631/k2311a0313/3.13.08