The Three Musketeers  » Books  »
  • But, it was only recently that I found the time to sit down and actually read it
  • And, I like how Dumas takes the time to give a brief history of the three without having that take over the entire book
  • I think Dumas was trying to do too much in this book and eventually had to end some things without giving any real closure
  • It's an OK book that I would recommend reading, simply so you get the full story rather than what you just see in the movies

• by Steve

I’ve seen several movie versions of the classic book The Three Musketeers. But, it was only recently that I found the time to sit down and actually read it.

I’m not sure if I liked it better than the movies, but I will say it does give quite a bit more detail than the movies do.

Probably the most revealing

fact for me is I never knew Athos Porthos and Aramis were aliases assumed by the three musketeers because of them hiding from their past. And, I like how Dumas takes the time to give a brief history of the three without having that take over the entire book.

As far as the book is concerned though, he really should ...

• have stayed a bit more focused. The four heroes have one big adventure and a couple major villains to face but it keeps going off in different directions so much it’s actually a bit confusing at times. You also have a couple lesser villains (like the Cardinal’s right-hand man) who pretty much just disappear by the end of
        the book. I think Dumas was trying to do too much in this book and eventually had to end some things without giving any real closure.

It’s an OK book that I would recommend reading, simply so you get the full story rather than what you just see in the movies. But, at least for me, I think the movies were better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171303317120531/k2311a0313/3.13.08