An Utterly Impartial History of Britain, or 2000 years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge  » Books  »
  • I love all kinds of subjects from children´s books that I share with my own, biographies, auto-biographies, fiction and non-fiction, my choice is quite varied
  • I think, if I´m honest though, I do like anything to do with history, whether it is fictional with a few historical issues and facts thrown in or a documentation
  • I happened to come across John O´Farrell´s An Utterly Impartial History of Britain, or 2000 years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge whilst I was searching for another book in the Amazon website, it looked intriguing so I bought it
  • Unfortunately it was written about 20 years too late for me

• by Nevaeh

I have to say, I am a bit of a book worm but the book has to be rather special for me not to get bored within the first 100 pages. I love all kinds of subjects from children´s books that I share with my own, biographies, auto-biographies, fiction and non-fiction, my choice is quite varied.

documentation.

I happened to come across John O´Farrell´s “An Utterly Impartial History of Britain, or 2000 years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge” whilst I was searching for another book in the Amazon website, it looked intriguing so I bought it.

I´m so glad I did!

It´s basically an English history book chronically charting historical events from Roman Britain up until 1945. Sounds boring, I know but it isn´t. Every page is packed with fascinating facts, so if you´re like me and your mind wanders from time ...

• to time, you can pick up from whichever planet you have just dropped from and carry on.

His wit is second to none and is very much in the same vein as Bill Bryson, if you´ve never read his books, do, they´re also very good!

Sarcasm should be O´Farrell´s middle name as his book is riddled with it and makes for very good reading. It´s one book I shall not be lending out and will take great pleasure in reading it again and again.

Some examples of just

some chapter headings to give you an idea:

Boadiccea rebels over incorrect spelling of her name Hadrian´s Wall: “They promised it would be finished by Christmas” Viking Onslaught (and other heavy metal bands) King Alfred: “You think you´re soooo great, don´t you?”

That just takes you to page 34, you have another 439 pages full of witty quips and great reading to devour.

I wish I knew someone who was studying English history at school, I would know exactly what to buy them! Unfortunately it was written about 20 years too late for me!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171103315360631/k2311a0311/3.11.08