Great Dane Dogs  » Pets  »
  • When my partner decided he was going to buy a Great Dane I thought he´d lost his marbles, I was brought up with little toy dogs like King Charles Spaniels, I only heard of one Great Dane before and that was Scooby Doo
  • Great Danes in general are the Gentle Giant of the canine species, we have 22 at the moment (yes, I know, we´re moving rapidly towards 101)

• by Nevaeh

If you are thinking of buying a dog and wondering which breed to choose, ever thought of getting a Great Dane?

Most people think, “A Great Dane? They`re far too big and they´ll probably need lots of exercise and a big mansion with lots of land”

Wrong!

We got our first Great Dane dog called Bailey 9 years ago and haven´t looked back since. When my partner decided he was going to buy a Great Dane I thought he´d lost his marbles, I was brought up with little toy dogs like King Charles Spaniels, I only heard of one Great Dane before and that was Scooby Doo!

Well, Bailey arrived complete with full sick bag from the car and was very shy. 9 years have passed and since then he has sired 4 litters and helped to bring them all up, he´s a wonderful father and a fantastic pet, now I wouldn´t have any other breed of dog, not for all the tea in China.

Great Danes in general are the “Gentle Giant” of the canine species, we have 22 at the moment (yes, I know, we´re moving rapidly towards 101). We usually have 5 adult Danes

but our two girlies gave birth at Christmas and New year. Bailey was supposed to have retired from that sort of thing a year ago when he didn´t “perform”.

Their temperament is second to none, they aim to please and hate it when their human boss is cross with them, you think at the time they´re not listening but they are and you´ll find 80% of the time they won´t “Do that again” Whatever it is you´ve told them off for. My adult Danes could easily swipe the steak that´s resting on the kitchen work top anytime they wanted, they know it´s there and it´s certainly in reach of a beast that is over 6 foot tall on it´s hind legs. They know though that if they leave it, there will be a treat for them later, for being good.

Exercise is no more than an average dog, they´re not like Dalmations where you could walk them for 10 miles and they´d be ready for another. In fact, whilst they are under a year old, you shouldn´t walk them excessively because you could damage their tender growing bones.

Whilst it takes Dalmations, Labradors etc ...

• to move from their extrovertish, strenuous puppy stage about 2 years, a Great Dane is considerably calmer after about 9 months and will quite happily rest with you all day with you if you wanted. Bandit our 9 month old pup went through the puppy stage, chewing and destroying everything in site if we let him, for the last 3 weeks we have seen a big difference, he´s more interested in receiving lots of love and can be satisfied with playing catch for 10 minutes rather than digging up the tomato plants and chewing and smashing every plant pot in sight.

The size of your house isn´t as important as you might think, as long as you have a decent sized garden or somewhere in the vacinity to give them their daily walks, which every dog needs, they will be very happy, it´s more important that you can spend good quality time with them. We used to live in an apartment above the pub we owned and lived with 4 Great Danes, we used to take it in turns with which 2 dogs would come in from their outside pen at a time.

In the 8 years that we had them we only had one accident with a piece of furniture, the two girls decided to have a funny half hour whilst we were out and knocked over a table, apart from that, nothing.

The sad thing about this breed is the fact that their longevity isn´t as long as some other breeds, their average is between 9 and 12 years if you´re lucky.

If you´re thinking of buying one, ask the breeders if their dogs have any history of “bloat”, this is very similar to what horses sometimes get, it´s like a twisting of the gut that can kill. None of our dogs have ever experienced this and experts are not 100% sure what causes it, but they say if you keep your dog on a balanced diet and don´t change it suddenly or drastically it could help. Also try not to feed them 1 hour before or after exercise, very similar to a horse.

I wouldn´t be without my “babies” they are the most wonderful, intelligent, gentle and loving dogs in the world and are fantastic with children, having two of my own I know from first hand.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291103315240631/k2311a0311/3.11.08