Across the Universe Movie
  • There was so much feeling conveyed that I think I've never found such wondrous conviction in other Beatles covers

• by kdchoi

I’ve always been a Beatles fanatic. As such, seeing their songs come to life on the big screen is a real treat.

Usually, I find such attempts sacrilegious, but this time, I have to say the actors pulled it off.

I wouldn’t have patronized an album filled with “covers”, but the movie allowed the actors to sing the

songs filled with their characters’ emotions.

For example, the character Prudence sang “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” as a ballad.

If it had come as a song and not as a scene in a movie, I might not have liked it.

But then it was such a powerful moving scene when she sang with so much longing.

...

• I felt like the song’s lyrics really became the dialog of the movie.

There was so much feeling conveyed that I think I’ve never found such wondrous conviction in other Beatles covers.

Though some parts of the story dragged a bit and were quite unnecessary, I still loved the overall effect.

Plus there were some cameos from Bono

and Joe Cocker and even Salma Hayek as five different nurses in a fantasy scene.

It was wonderful, overall, and the result was a visual explosion.

The movie was great, the acting was fabulous and Jim Sturgess is just hot.

I think I’ll watch it a few more times, buy the DVD and relive every single moment each time.

Across the Universe Movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11403309730631/k2311a034/3.4.08