Sir Francis Varney  » Books  »
  • Considering he's supposed to be the villain, I'm very disappointed
  • If he were one of the good guys, I think I would like him

• by Steve

As far as vampires are concerned, Sir Francis Varney (the title character from Varney the Vampire) has to be one of the meekest I’ve ever read about.

Varney comes off as an evil villain early on in the book but, the more you read about him, the more you learn just how

little he enjoys his condition. He doesn’t drink blood from any victims (making me wonder just how he survives) and, other than the fact he can heal himself by lying in the moonlight, really doesn’t show anything that sets him apart from a normal human. Basically, he may be a vampire,

• but he doesn’t do much more than pretend he is. I really don’t think he’s much more than a petty thief. I’m not sure if he even really believes he’s a vampire or just a guy with some weird abilities.

Considering he’s supposed to be the villain, I’m very disappointed. If he

were one of the good guys, I think I would like him. But, as a person the good guys are supposed to overcome, he isn’t much of an obstacle for them. Heck, his flaws make him more of an enemy to himself than those he is trying to con out of a fortune.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172602305410629/k2311a0226/2.26.08