Jim Zorn  » Sport  »
1.5
  • Don't get me wrong, Zorn has a ton of coaching experience in the NFL
  • I think Zorn will help quarterback Jason Campbell
  • But, I don't think he's going to make this jump and be successful

• by Steve

I will admit, I’m surprised by the Washington Redskins’ decision to hire Seattle Seahawks quarterback coach Jim Zorn as their head coach. This is both because I’m used to owner Dan Snyder making a big splash when he hires his coaches and because I’m not sure he’s the right guy for the job.

Don’t get me wrong, Zorn has

a ton of coaching experience in the NFL. And, he has worked wonders with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. But, the guy has no experience calling plays or running an offense. Asking him to jump from position coach to head coach is a huge step. Heck, the Seahawks didn’t even make him an assistant head coach; something teams normally do ...

• if they are interested in keeping an assistant a long time.

Probably the only thing Zorn has going for him is he’s worked for Mike Holmgren. Holmgren’s coaching tree has been somewhat successful in the past with coaches like Steve Mariucci and Andy Reid going on to decent careers. But, neither of those coaches has won a Super Bowl;

something you know the Redskins really want to do.

I think Zorn will help quarterback Jason Campbell. But, I don’t think he’s going to make this jump and be successful. I can only hope he has some quality about him that will eventually prove me wrong. Or, Snyder will be looking for his 7th coach since he bought the team.

Jim Zorn

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 352602305200629/k2311a0226/2.26.08