Life Support (NR, 2006) movie  » Movies  »
  • In watching, I enjoyed that there was a real group of HIV-positive women discussing their situations

• by Famous

I will admit that I was a little apprehensive about seeing this movie. At first I didn’t realize that Nelson George developed this film which was based on his sister’s battle with being diagnosed as HIV-positive. Starring Queen Latifah in the lead role, I initially thought this movie would be extra-sappy, with very little good acting.

I was surprised. In watching, I enjoyed that there was a real group of HIV-positive women discussing their situations.

I felt

that this added to the authenticity of the movie. Additionally, it was not until the end of the film that I realized that George’s sister is actually one of the support group members.

This was also a clever move (which I have seen in other films, like The Corner. ) Anyway, the pacing of this film was pretty justifiable.

I did find a few of the scenes involving the teenaged daughter to be a bit “tedious. ” I’m sure ...

• there were lots of situations where things got ugly between the mother and daughter.

But for some reasons, some of those scenes in the movie just seemed “strained. ” Perhaps this is because I never really got the chemistry between Queen Latifah and actress Rachel Nicks (who portrayed “Kelly”).

All in all, I liked the way the film moved. I do have one criticism: I wished that they had focused more on Amare’s situation and what was going on

with him.

Much of the film he’d “disappeared” from the people who loved him. But it would have helped the story along if the director had “checked in” with his situation more frequently.

Also, by the time he ends up on his deathbed, the audience hasn’t had a chance to really connect with him. This was a good movie with a positive message.

I just feel that many people will say that it has that “After-School-Special” appeal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112602305120529/k2311a0226/2.26.08