Tracfone  » Cellular services  »
  • My experience with their website has been frustrating
  • After following all the instructions, I'm invariably told that there's a problem and that I need to call their toll-free number
  • However, I do recommend it for an easy-to-use emergency phone

• by Claire W.

There are a lot of cell phone companies out there to choose from. Different plans which include options like family and friends, top five, roll over minutes, and complicated contracts are sometimes quite confusing. It can be expecially discouraging if you only want a cell phone for emergencies. One option is Tracfone. It’s a pay-as-you-go cell phone service, which is easy to use.

Tracfones are inexpensive to purchase. I recently saw

a Motorola Tracfone advertised at Walmart for $12.95. Plans start at $20.00 for three months/60 minutes. Tracfone currently offers value plans which allow you to automatically add 50 minutes a month for $9.99 or add an extra month (but no extra minutes) for $4.95. The minutes themselves are more expensive than they might be from other cell phone providers. You pay for the convenience of not having a contract. Sometimes ...

• special offers are available on the website (www.tracfone.com).

You can add minutes directly from your cell phone, at the Tracfone website, or from your land line. My experience with their website has been frustrating. After following all the instructions, I’m invariably told that there’s a problem and that I need to call their toll-free number. It’s always gone without a hitch when I dial from my land line. Also, if you

don’t add more minutes before your expiration date, you need to reactivate your phone, which is more trouble than just adding minutes.

Signals are available most places. I really haven’t had any trouble, except in dead zones where no one else gets service either.

Tracfone might not be your best bet if you spend a lot of time on your cell phone. However, I do recommend it for an easy-to-use emergency phone.

Tracfone

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 222102300980629/k2311a0221/2.21.08