I am Legend  » Movies  »
  • So I guess I can't avoid to mention my dislikes of the remake
  • Problem is, while Smith's analysis about their animalistic behaviour is correct, they still train dogs for their services, like humans do, and despite their supposedly pulpy brains, they are able to exactly imitate Smith's trap so perfectly that even Smith himself falls for it

• by SimStim

…become a good actor ever? Well, in ‘I am Legend’ (the tagline goes something like, ‘the last man on Earth is not alone’), Will Smith sure displays an enhanced acting routine. And that probably due to his constant exposure.

But then again, it’s not all his fault that this remake sucks big time. Yes, a remake, and NOT an original movie! I have to emphasise that, having come across a lot of opinions speaking of an original movie. It is not.

Folks, even the tagline clearly points to The Omega Man, starring Charlton Heston, some time beginning of the seventies. Sorry, I’m too lazy to look up all the details, but you can click IMDB yourself to check them out.

What I do remember is that Omega Man is a consistent piece of art. Not necessarily best acting ever, no. But the story-line is flawless, the cinematography creative (remember the scene

in the very beginning, when Smith grabs his rifle in the GT 500?–Yes, the Omega Man does it first!), and while it reeks of the hippie era, it’s not too preachy about it. An overall convincing film, fun and entertaining.

Oh, but this review is supposed to be about I am Legend, and not Omega Man. So I guess I can’t avoid to mention my dislikes of the remake. Not that I ever planned on trying to avoid mentioning them…

Let’s start with the setting. The albinos of OM are replaced in IaL by beasts. That in itself is not a problem. Problem is, while Smith’s analysis about their animalistic behaviour is correct, they still train dogs for their services, like humans do, and despite their supposedly pulpy brains, they are able to exactly imitate Smith’s trap so perfectly that even Smith himself falls for it. And that sure requires ...

• a bit of mathematics, to mention the least.

Before Smith meets that religious lady (forgot her name), he basically commits suicide by setting up the ‘beasts’ at night time. She rescues him, and as son as he is better, he is again obsessed by the drive that he ‘can fix that.’ Totally emotional, how does that fit a scientist with military background?

Smith makes a point that he does not believe in God, but when they’re all trapped in his lab, he says, ‘maybe this (serum) is why you have been sent here.’ Sent by whom? Then, instead of throwing the grenade and seeking cover himself, he runs towards his doom, irrational again.

I was wondering about so many other smaller details, like, why does the colony have such high walls, no mutant would ever be able to reach them anyway so far off in the mountains. And, if they apparently

have modern building equipment, guns, etc., why don’t they run radio stations themselves to inform survivors like that lady-with-child about their location. The mutants sure won’t be able to listen to the radio.

It’s not the place to go into every detail here, I guess. Just stress again that this movie is inconsistent. The unchanged bits are–well, unchanged–and the changes introduced create more problems than they solve. Maybe because there are not problems to be solved in the first place. It’s kind of like, ‘never change a winning team,’ or, don’t try to improve on something that doesn’t need any improvement.

I should not forget to mention that I truly appreciate that I am Legend never made a secret of it being a remake. Best example, the unchanged tagline. And yet, if a remake is not significantly improving the original, why bother doing one at all?

And in this case, it’s so much worse…

I am Legend

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111902300050629/k2311a0219/2.19.08