Super Bowl XLII Halftime show  » TV  »
  • But, last night's performance by Tom Petty was one of the most boring performances I've seen in a long while
  • As much as I like Petty, that just didn't happen with me this time around

• by Steve

I’ve seen just about every Super Bowl Half Time show over the past decade; even when didn’t watch the game. But, last night’s performance by Tom Petty was one of the most boring performances I’ve seen in a long while.

I understand how the NFL is now afraid of any controversy in the half time show following Janet Jackson’s

infamous wardrobe malfunction and last year’s show which featured Prince and several sexual innuendos. But, while I don’t have any real complaints about Tom Petty’s performance, I just was left unfulfilled.

Petty is a great singer. That’s why he’s been at the top of the charts and his music spans generations of listeners. But, his songs are mostly low-key ...

• performances; not something that is going to keep fans from going to the bathroom or making their way into the kitchen to make some snacks. The point of the half time show is to keep people glued to their TV so the commercials aren’t missed. As much as I like Petty, that just didn’t happen with me this
        time around. I watched a song and a half of his performance and then found myself wandering into another room for a while. It was great listening. But, you don’t need to watch to listen.

Next year, the NFL should look for a nice visual performance versus something that you would be better off listening to on your car radio.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101402298910929/k2311a0214/2.14.08