Fujitsu Lifebook S6240  » Laptops  »
  • I love it for being light and sleek and working without glitches (but see the list of drawbacks below) during all this time
  • Now, I think, it's partially lost its brightness, though it is hard to tell exactly just relying on memory
  • I like its standard, not wide-screen form factor

• by Carrilia

13.3′’, 1.73Gz, 500MB RAM, 40 GB 4200 rpm. I had this notebook for two years. I love it for being light and sleek and working without glitches (but see the list of drawbacks below) during all this time. I use it rather intensively and like to run 10-20 applications at the same time. It never freezes and almost never gets really slow. The screen was perfect on arrival (no dead pixels) and very bright. Now, I think, it’s partially lost its brightness, though it is hard to tell exactly just relying on memory. I like its standard, not wide-screen

form factor. The keyboard is as good as new. The speakers always were no better than a melodious tin can.

Upgrades. Initially I had only 40gb hard disk with 4200 rpm and in a year it became really inconvenient. Larger and faster (7200 rpm) hard disk has become also a huge improvement in terms of speed of work.

Once I damaged a part of the machine where a power cord is connected to the notebook (accidentally pulled it really strong) and it got to be replaced.

I had to replace the battery, which was steadily losing its capacity ...

• and died out at the age of two.

Drawbacks:

- When cover is closed, there is no indicator showing the status of the machine (turned off, hibernated, etc.). Once I carried it packed in a laptop sleeve for several hours before finding out that it did not hibernate but continued to be on all this time. I was really scared that it got overheated but in fact it did not suffer at all. Actually, it beeps when it is hibernated or turned off but if you think you’ve just missed the sound and pack it

- The screen can

be easily damaged by the keyboard, which leaves indelible traces when under pressure (e.g., carried in an overstretched bag). I’ve got a habit of putting a sheet of paper between the keyboard and the screen when carrying the laptop around.

- The cover easily picks up fingerprints, which can be annoying to a person who cares how smart the thing looks like.

- The microphone did not work because of the driver issues; I had to search for a driver upgrade manually.

- The machine gets hot and sometimes during processor-intensive tasks it may really impact its speed, so I bought a cooling pad.

xianguo says :

What manual driver did u download for your mic problem? I am having that problem now, even though i plug it in and the computer detected and as me to specify whether is it mic in. But it still could not work. i need your help

Jules Li says :

I would suggest checking to make sure that the mic is enabled. It could be on mute. Click start and click on control panel. Click hardware and sound. Then click sound and click the recording tab.

Galega says :

The driver problem has almost solved with all new OS, from Windows 7. It gets done automatically without you requiring to do anything. You may need to upload it manually, in certain cases. Visit the official website of Fujitsu and download the driver for mic of Lifebook S6240. Install it on your laptop.

carrilia replies :

To xianguo I downloaded the new driver from the Realtek website. I don`t precisely remember the version and the name, but I believe that the following link should help you ?Langid 1 PNid 14 PFid 24 Level 4 Conn 3 DownTypeID 3 GetDown false, just choose the appropriate OS.

Galega says :

It will be even better to download and install drivers directly from the official website of Fujitsu. Latest Windows OS has made it even easier.

Joy Smith says :

How do you remove the keypad? I am trying to reset the bios password.

Jules Li says :

The screws for this model are located under the bottom of the computer. Remove all the screws for the keyboard. They are usually labeled. After this, you have to remove the plastic bezel which holds the keypad in place.

Galega says :

If you are sure to reset the bios password on your own, then it would be easy for you to remove the keyboard. I think you are asking for the ways to open the cover of the laptop. Just unscrew it from behind and then you can reach the motherboard and get access to all 2 pin password connector.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 631002295641029/k2311a0210/2.10.08