High School Musical  » Entertainment  »
  • So on a whim I decided to check it out and see what all the hysteria was about

• by Serene

So the hype surrounding this musical is everywhere I look. It’s even propelled it’s seemingly unknown cast into superstardom. They have paparazzi following them now and the media is dubbing Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens as the teenage Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

That last statement yields quite a feeling of disbelief and incomprehension from me. “Are these kids really that good?” “What’s the big deal about HSM?” I found myself

asking.

I hadn’t seen it, all that I knew about it was what I saw on entertainment shows and what I heard from my younger sister who would rant and rave about how great it was and how much in love with Corbin Bleu she is. So on a whim I decided to check it out and see what all the hysteria was about.

Let’s just say I was thoroughly baffled ...

• at what I saw. It was the epitome of overacting.

The line deliveries were overzealous and laughable. Everything about it was completely over the top.

Not only that but the singing was horrendous. Vanessa Hudgens can’t sing to save her life.

Nothing about any part of it is endearing or powerful or even cute. Now don’t get me wrong, I myself have been guilty of dabbling in teenage fandom.

I was

a devoted fan of both Hanson and NSYNC, but this is not that. At least they were(and still are) musicians who have some substance.

The only thing I could vaguely respect and appreciate about High School Musical was the diversity among the cast. But that’s the only thing I could distinguish as remotely worthy of praise.

The cheese factor was unbearable. I do not understand the magnitude of the HSM hysteria.

High School Musical

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 59702294171029/k2311a027/2.7.08