2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6
2.5
Georgia, US
  • I can not say I have enjoyed this vehicle for the several years I have been driving it
  • Cons - Mechanical and electrical problem plague this model and since it cannot last 50,000 miles without having a major breakdown I cannot recommend this to anyone, unless it's a very temporary vehicle

• by Taylor

For my 16th birthday, I was given a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 V6 and has a short cab and a short bed. I can not say I have enjoyed this vehicle for the several years I have been driving it. So far I have had to pay over $5000 in repairs to keep it running.

At 50,00 miles I had to have the transmission rebuilt, I had a sparkplug break in the engine, I’ve had the wheels rust completely solid to the axles, I’ve had to replace a rim because it warped while trying to be removed, I’ve had to replace

the brakes system completely and several small electrical problems that have disabled the vehicle completely. I also had to have the valves rebuilt at 98,000 miles. I do have to say that the CD player and radio have worked perfectly for 8 years. Even though it is a small bore V6, it does not get good gas mileage, or even decent gas mileage. On average, it will get about 16 MPG. The engine itself is very underpowered and cannot compete with it’s big brother, the 4.0, or even the S10’s 4.3. Since I am about 6 foot 2, the cab feels like a ...

• tiny box. And since it’s a short cab, you’re not going to be carrying a lot of stuff in the cab.

The styling of the Ranger has always looked very sharp. Subtle curves and aggressive stance have made it LOOK like a little beast. Even the short cab and short bed model looks good with a set of off-road tires. The entertainment systems all work perfectly and have grand sound from the speakers. The paint looks great, even though there are a handul of dents and scratches. This is one of Fords highlighted points. Their paint always looks good even several years after

it has been applied.

Pros - Very stylish design, sounds good when the engine chugs, CD Player will work for up to 8 years, Fords famous paint lasts forever.

Cons - Mechanical and electrical problem plague this model and since it cannot last 50,000 miles without having a major breakdown I cannot recommend this to anyone, unless it’s a very temporary vehicle. The 3.0 V6 is very underpowered, rated at 150 horsepower, not a good truck engine.

Conclusion - Only buy this truck if you can get some kind of warranty, and if you start getting major malfunctions, it might be time for a new car.

Randy Burke says :

Hello, I have also had the same problem with the spark plug breaking. I was driving home from college for Thanksgiving break and the plug broke and shot out of the side of the block on I-90. The ceramic part shot out of the metal threaded end, and the threaded end was still in the block. Is that kind of what happened to yours? Do you know what caused it? Another thing I don`t like about the Ranger is that we have had to replace O2 sensors and idler pulleys too frequently. Thanks.

fred says :

heater blower fan only operates on high setting

Jules Li says :

The blower motor resistor is the part that controls the speed of the fan. If it only operates on higher, the motor could be faulty.

Bill says :

My 2000 ranger is having oil pressure problems when i start the truck it had pressure for about 5 mins then when driving it loses pressure the gauge bounces up and down and there is now power to the motor does anyone know what this could be?

Jules Li says :

This sounds like a problem with the oil pump. Whenever the oil loses pressure, it’s usually an issue with the pump. You should get it check, or consider replacing it.

Bill says :

My truck is having oil pressure problems when running it has pressure then after 5 mins it drops out and then bounces up and down the truck also has now power when pressure fluctuates what could this be the only thing i cam think is sending unit or oil pump

Jules Li says :

Bill, if the oil pressure is fluctuating even after the vehicle has warmed up, there’s likely a problem with the oil pump. I experienced the same issue on a vehicle and it ended up being the oil pump. There’s almost nothing else that can cause this besides the oil pump.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 9202292601029/k2311a022/2.2.08