Performa 18.5 Cubic foot refrigerator  » Electronics  »
  • Last year when BG&E and Constellation Energy caps were released and they were allowed to charge whatever they wanted our gas and electric prices tripled in costs
  • I can only hope that this one lasts as long as the last one

• by robsmom

Last year when BG&E and Constellation Energy caps were released and they were allowed to charge whatever they wanted our gas and electric prices tripled in costs. Maryland was hit hard by unregulated board and we are still suffering. I had to purchase a new refrigerator last year and I started to look at items that I would use for a long time that would

not only do the function that they were designed for but would also use less energy and save me money in the long run.

Our old refrigerator was a Maytag and we had that one for twenty five years. I went to Lowes and looked at their energy star items. So when I upgraded I went to a Performa 18.5 Cubic foot with a bottom freezer,

• refrigerator. I also asked the sells people on some hints to lower the costs of energy and they told me to make sure that the door seals were always airtight, to keep my refrigerator between 35 and 38 degrees, and my freezer a zero degrees. They also told me some common sense things like don’t stand with the door open for long periods of
        time.

The refrigerator we purchased was $800.00 and we got a rebate. I can only hope that this one lasts as long as the last one. This refrigerator is suppose be able to use at least 15 % less energy than my old refrigerator with an estimated savings in electrical charges of up to $100.00 per year. Like I have said before every penny counts.

John Dubord says :

My Performa 18.5 C F refrigerator has an icemaker that has started to click and no longer is making ice. What is the problem? When I open the freezer door bottom , the noise stops. When I depress the light switch or close the freezer door which depresses the switch and turns the light off , the noise begins immediately. Noise plus no ice. Can this be repaired or disconnected?

John says :

The noise is likely to be coming from the ice maker. It’s designed to turn on when the refrigerator is closed, which is likely the reason why the nois occurs when you close it. The ice maker is replace-able. If you’re under warranty you should contact the manufacturer to have it replaced.

Galega says :

When I had this sort of problem, I found clogging along the supply line. Once clogging was completely removed, the noise was gone and ice maker started to work perfectly. A common cause for a clog is frozen water in the line. To repair a frozen line, slide the refrigerator and unplug it.

Please note, you are required to go through the same procedure even if you are getting smaller ice cubes than what was expected from the ice maker.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163101291970931/k2311a0131/1.31.08