Lalbagh Botonical Garden  » Travel  »
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
  • When I decided to explore Bangalore, the first place I visited was Lalbagh Botonical gardens, located on the southern part of Bangalore
  • I was told that during the republic day on January 26th, the government holds flower shows and I made it a point to visit on that day and i was so glad to see the best flower show on earth

• by Rekha

I am from South India and my hometown is Chennai. But recently my husband got a transfer to Bangalore. Initialy it was very difficult for me to accept the change of place, but after sometime I started loving the garden city, Bangalore. When I decided to explore Bangalore, the first place I visited was Lalbagh Botonical gardens, located on the southern part of Bangalore.

It is a huge garden and iam sure one would get lost in the garden if you are visiting for the first time without any guidance. I went to the garden with my relatives who are residents of Bangalore for more than 3 decades.

So I could go around the garden and enjoy every bit of it. When you go back to the history of it, Hyder Ali commissioned the garden in 1760 and his son Tipu Sultan completed it.

When I started walking in the garden, I saw a beautiful glass house , modeled on London’s crystal palace, one of the main attractions in Lalbagh. We took lot of photographs. As we walked inside we saw trees which are more than 100 years old and they were labelled for identification. We also saw some rare species of plants, lawns, flowerbeds, lotus pool and fountains. The Lal Bagh Rock, one of ...

• the oldest rock formations on earth, dating back to 3000 million years, is another attraction. Lalbagh has also acquired India’s first lawn-clock. The garden is so aestheticlay desinged and I lost myself at the beauty of the different kinds of clourful flowers.

I am sure one cannot see the garden fully with just one visit. So we came back having seen only a portion of the garden. I was told that during the republic day on January 26th, the government holds flower shows and I made it a point to visit on that day and i was so glad to see the best flower show on

earth. These flower shows are conducted every year to educate people about different flora and help cultivate habit of growing plants among the public.

Lalbagh remains open daily from 6.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m. throughout the year. For the benefit of joggers, tourists and fitness enthusiasts, entry is free from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. At other times, a fee of Rs.10/- is charged. Entry for school children and the disabled is free all day.

These days we make it a point to visit Lalbach regularly with family and friends. So if you are a nature lover, dont miss to visit this wonderful Gardens.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383101291060631/k2311a0131/1.31.08