MicroCenter Fairfax VA  » Business  »
0.5
PanAm Shopping Center, Fairfax, VA
  • I'm very disappointed that after years of shopping at MicroCenter in Fairfax, and after buying more than one computer from them, I have been ripped-off
  • I found it hard to believe MicroCenter could afford to provide all of that protection for the $400 Gold Plan
  • There isn't any exchange of laptops unless I have the same exact problem for three times

• by Marie Baker

I’m very disappointed that after years of shopping at MicroCenter in Fairfax, and after buying more than one computer from them, I have been ripped-off.

This was my second laptop from them. The first time I didn’t get an extended warranty. This time the salesman really pitched MicroCenter’s extended warranty. I was skeptical about paying an additional $400 to them, and said if I did anything, I would go to HP to see what their extended warranty would offer.

That salesman insisted their plan as superior to HP’s. I asked

specifically about screen damage, liquid spilled on the keyboard, or if the laptop was dropped. I asked what would happen if I was traveling and needed service. I asked about turn-around time for repairs. I was thorough.

That guy kept assuring me everything was not only covered, but they could do the work there for a fast turn-around. If I was out of town, they would send a repairman to me. He also explained that I could exchange my damaged laptop for a brand new one at anytime… if ...

• the model was discontinued, they would upgrade it, covered in full, no extra charge. I found it hard to believe MicroCenter could afford to provide all of that protection for the $400 Gold Plan. I felt like I’d be an idiot not to buy the plan.

Now that I’m having problems, I find out I was lied to on one point after another. The warranty doesn’t take affect until after the one year HP warranty ends. They don’t do the repairs on site, but it has to be sent away,

taking two weeks. There isn’t any exchange of laptops unless I have the same exact problem for three times… then I would bring it in, they would file the paperwork, and in about 10 business days I would get a comparable laptop.

I am very upset that I allowed myself to be taken. I tried to call the store manager, they insist they don’t have a store manager, only department managers. I find that impossible to believe.

NEVER buy an extended warranty from a salesperson at MicroCenter in Fairfax VA.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 412801290310531/k2311a0128/1.28.08