Movie: Breaking and Entering  » Movies  »
  • I almost always find that I enjoy Miramax movies
  • One of the really interesting things for me about Breaking and Entering is the telling of the story that people on both ends of the social and economic scales have similar problems
  • I think Juliette Binoche is one of the prettiest and most beautiful women performing today
  • Michael Caine won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for The Cider House Rules, a good movie, but Caine's performance was pretty ordinary
  • Unfortunately Sonny leaves her for the younger, more beautiful, but not nearly as attractive a person, Jacy Farrow (Cybill Shepherd)

• by tfedge

Breaking and Entering” is a 2006 Miramax film. Miramax is one of the my favorite production companies. I almost always find that I enjoy Miramax movies. When I watch the movie on DVD I almost always find a movie or two I want to watch from the previews section of the DVD. “Breaking and Entering” was filmed at Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire and at locations in London. The movie carries an R rating for sexuality, nudity, and language. The movie is in color and mostly in English but there are sections that are in Serbo-Croation. Lately I’ve gotten in the habit of always having subtitles on when I watch a movie so I had a translation.

Breaking and Entering” has a couple of fun taglines. “Lie. Cheat. Steal. Love.” My favorite though is “love is no ordinary crime.”

In “Breaking and Entering” Jude Law plays Will Francis, a successful London architect. He lives with his girlfriend of ten years, Liv, played by Robin Wright Penn, and her daughter Bea. Liv is a filmmaker who has gone into semi-retirement so she can be caregiver to her daughter.

Bea is about ten years old and has some medical condition that isn’t carefully defined. In one scene a psychiatrist is interviewing Liv and Will and writes down the word autistic. However autism doesn’t quite define the condition. Bea has some of the symptoms of Autism, but there is more than that. She has insomnia and is demanding. At times she seems to focus to the exclusion of all other things, such as when she’s doing her gymnastics, other times she seems scattered.

Will and his partner Sandy have recently opened their office in a neighborhood known for criminal activity. They have carefully installed alarms. However they have neglected to provide adequate protection

against entry in the skylights of the multi-story building. Miro is Bosnian. He works for a gang using his gymnastic skills to break into the building through the skylight.

Will discovers who committed the burglary and follows him. He meets Miro’s mother Amira, played by Juliette Binoche, and is attracted to her. Amira works as a seamstress and takes in sewing on the side. Will pretends to be interested in having her do work for him. Eventually they begin an affair. Will is interested in Amira. Amira’s interests are less clear in part she is trying to protect her son, at times she seems lonely for a relationship and genuinely interested in Will.

When Miro is caught committing crimes he faces juvenile prison unless Will intervenes.

One of the really interesting things for me about “Breaking and Entering” is the telling of the story that people on both ends of the social and economic scales have similar problems. Wil is wealthy, well respected in his field, in a loveless relationship and has difficulty identifying with Bea, Liv’s daughter. On the other end is Amira. She is an immigrant from Bosnia, poor, hard-working, with no relationship, and has difficulty identifying with her son. When they turn toward each other they help each other but have difficulty getting past the details of their lives to spend time together, learn to trust each other, and fall in love.

I think Juliette Binoche is one of the prettiest and most beautiful women performing today. My favorite movie she did was “Chocolat” (2000) (see my Review Stream review at: http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=22831) where she plays the beautiful newcomer to a small French town that turns the town on its ear. She won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role as Hana in “The English Patient” ...

• (1996) (see my Review Stream review at: http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=26189). I’m always on a lookout for new movies she has done so I was pleased to find she was in “Breaking and Entering”. She plays an older, plainer, woman in this movie, but she is still pretty. In this role she seems more vulnerable that she does in many movies.

I’m not a big fan of Jude Law. I suppose it’s more of a fashion preference than a comment on his acting. He falls into that category of men in their twenties in thirties who seem to enjoy showing disrespect by following the fashion of not coming his hair and shaving only when it suits his mood. He received a Best Actor Oscar nomination for “Cold Mountain” (2004) but lost to Sean Penn in “Mystic River.” I suppose that’s not unreasonable. I really liked “Cold Mountain” but found his performance wasn’t particularly thrilling. He received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for “The Talented Mr. Ripley” (1999) a movie that’s on my wish list but I haven’t seen yet. Michael Caine won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for “The Cider House Rules,” a good movie, but Caine’s performance was pretty ordinary.

Robin Wright Penn plays Liv, Will’s girlfriend. Penn received a Golden Globe nomination as Best Supporting Actress for her performance as the adult Jenny Curran, Forrest Gump’s girlfriend and mother of his son. I thought she was excellent in the role and loved her folk singing act at the strip joint. One of the things I like about her is that she took Sean Penn’s last name when they married. Not that I particularly care about that, I just thought it was sort of nicely quaint, particularly among film actors for her to do so.

Anthony Minghella directed and wrote the

screenplay for “Breaking and Entering”. He won a Best Director Oscar for “The English Patient” (1996). He received an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for “The Talented Mr. Ripley” (1999) and for “The English Patient” (1996). He also directed and wrote the screenplay for “Cold Mountain” (2003).

“Breaking and Entering” was nominated for three British Independent Film Awards (BIFA). Both Juliette Binoche and Robin Wright Penn were nominated for Best Actor. Also nominated was Helen Mirren for “The Queen,” but the winner was Kate Dickie for “Red Road” a movie I never heard of. Ravi Gavron also received a nomination as Best Newcomer. The BIFA are similar to the Sundance Film Festival awards except the Sundance Awards are for independent American films.

I was reminded of the movie “The Bridges of Madison County” (1995) when I watched “Breaking and Entering.” Like “The Bridges of Madison County” the movie focused on two people who briefly met and fell in love, at least for a brief time, but find life prevents them from getting together. There was something a little sad about the affair in both movies. It’s as if both couples hoped something good would result from their affair, but not materialized. Another movie that gives me the same feeling is “The Last Picture Show” (1971), the part where Sonny Crawford (Timothy Bottoms) has an affair with the football coach’s wife, Ruth Popper (Cloris Leachman). For a time they fall in love. Unfortunately Sonny leaves her for the younger, more beautiful, but not nearly as attractive a person, Jacy Farrow (Cybill Shepherd).

I enjoyed “Breaking and Entering.” I always enjoy Juliette Binoche and I even liked the performance of Jude Law. Maybe I’ll cut him some slack. I give the movie a 91% or an A-.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112801288860331/k2311a0128/1.28.08