The Illusionist (PG-13, 2006) movie  » Movies  »
  • At first I thought that this movie was going to be like a rip-off of The Prestige which starred Christian Bale
  • And to tell the truth, I rather enjoyed the magic shown in The Illusionist much more

• by Famous

At first I thought that this movie was going to be like a rip-off of “The Prestige” which starred Christian Bale. But I am quite pleased to report that this movie has a similar storyline, but veers in an entirely different direction. Instead of concentrating fully on the magic itself, the way “The Prestige” did, this film focuses on the story of love which blossomed between the main character, Eisenheim (played by Ed

Norton) and Jessica Biel’s character, Sophie.

There is much more history behind the magic tricks. And to tell the truth, I rather enjoyed the magic shown in “The Illusionist” much more.

This is because Eisenheim’s work focused on supernatural imagery, and less on science. I liked that his flourishes fit right into the storyline, instead of taking away from them.

The plot is fairly simple, and moves ...

• along at a good pace. There were several instances where I realized that I, the viewer was being tricked.

And this is a wonderful thing to occur in film. It shows thought and precision in writing and execution.

As far as the acting is concerned, Norton pulls off a convincing magician with a slight accent. Jessica Biel seems a little less authentic.

But that is what

I expected of her. Still, in her defense, she manages not to jumble the role to the point of repulsion.

In fact, her acting is rather subdued and appropriate. There is a definite twist at the end that I shall not reveal here.

I was quite proud to have figured it out before the film was over (I rarely do. ) And that twist makes the movie even better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112501287120631/k2311a0125/1.25.08