Treasure Island Tour Train At Galveston Island, TX  » Travel  »
Galveston Island, TX
  • Both my husband and myself thought that Galveston was the best part of our 2 week vacation
  • I would recommend this tour for everybody, it is well worth the $7 admission fee, it's fun, economical and informative

• by mememe

While on vacation last year we spent four days at Galveston Island in Texas. Both my husband and myself thought that Galveston was the best part of our 2 week vacation. One of the best deals for tourists is the Galveston Train.

It’s called a train but it’s not exactly a train, it’s a tram pulled by a tractor, disguised as a train with a recorded whistle they sound off occasionally to give passengers the feel of being on a train. Yes, it is cheesy looking but it’s a hour and a half tour of the island with a guide that is very knowledgeable. Our guide was actually born and raised in Galveston so we got both current events and history

thrown into the narration along the way. You can’t beat the price, it was only $7 a piece and like I said it lasted an hour and a half.

We passed several old mansions and historical homes, the remains of Fort Crockett, we went into the business district, which is an historical area called the strand, we went past the commercial shrimping boats and several miles down Seawall Boulevard.

If I remember correctly the tour covered almost 20 miles which is well worth the $7 admission fee with the price of gas being so high. A funny note here, I was keeping tabs on the prices of gas, food and lodging on our 1,500 mile trip and Galveston Island was the cheapest place we bought ...

• gas but it was also the most expensive place to eat. Being a tourist type town I would have thought the gas would be more expensive and being by the ocean I would have thought the seafood would have been plentiful and less expensive, I was wrong on both counts.

To meet the train you just stand on the sidewalk on the corner of 25th and Seawall, there is no building, we thought we were at the wrong place as we were looking for a station. The train comes by every few hours starting in at 9:00 and during the winter months the trips are limited so be sure to check out Galveston.com for info before you head down for the tour.

We’re glad we took

the tour, I would suggest if you are going to stay for any length of time to go on the tour the first day. The guide and the tour actually made it easier for us to get around the island, he gave some personal recommendations on places to visit. He told us about a home tour that was going on that weekend that we participated in but would have missed the oppurtunity if he hadn’t mentioned it. Any time a local gives a good review of a place in their community it’s usually better than trying to figure out the best places to visit on your own.

I would recommend this tour for everybody, it is well worth the $7 admission fee, it’s fun, economical and informative!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382201284460831/k2311a0122/1.22.08