Alliant Energy Budget Plan  » General services  »
  • My wife and I bought our house in October of 2006 and moved in right away
  • In an attempt to make up for it, they raised our cost
  • So, here's the interesting dilemma we now have
  • Sure, I'll be paying a dozen or so dollars more a month during the winter but, over the course of the year, I think I'll be better off financially because I won't have to continue paying an ever-increasing monthly payment that does nothing to reduce the balance or save me money

• by Steve

For some time, I’ve been a big proponent of utility budget plans, especially when it comes to keeping some sort of control over what you spend on your monthly heating bill.

But, after Alliant Energy managed to screw mine up, I am no longer a fan.

My wife and I bought our house in October of 2006 and moved in right away. Because I had been hammered with a heating bill in our past place (a town house) I quickly signed up for Alliant’s budget plan.

At first, it wasn’t

too bad. Our monthly bill was around $70; very affordable. However, as it turns out, Alliant undercharged us. In determining that amount, they had looked at the previous year’s use. Well, the house was empty during that time (the previous owner had died) and, because nobody was living there, the thermostat probably was never turned above 60.

It took Alliant 6 months to discover their mistake. In that time, they charged us $420. Our actual heating costs were about $900; leaving a $480 balance. In an attempt to make up for it, they raised our cost. Our payment went up to $137; which was a pretty significant increase and took some creative budgeting to work around it. But, even without the furnace being run, it still didn’t do much to eat away at the balance because we still had our electric bill (which is going to be higher during the summer months because of the air conditioner) and some charges for gas because of our water heater.

By November, the account still had a balance ...

• Alliant Energy Budget Plan
      of around $300 and we were once again entering the colder months. So, in their infinite wisdom (yes I’m being sarcastic), Alliant once again raised our bill; this time to $153.

So, here’s the interesting dilemma we now have. We are paying $153 a month on a “budget” plan. Our actual heat/electric cost is only $165. Where exactly is this plan helping us with our burden? Maybe if they would have charged us correctly the first time, they could have avoided this. But, because they didn’t use

common sense, the budget plan is pretty much a waste of our time. In fact, I have scraped up the money to simply pay off the remaining balance on the account and will just pay my normal heating bill. Sure, I’ll be paying a dozen or so dollars more a month during the winter but, over the course of the year, I think I’ll be better off financially because I won’t have to continue paying an ever-increasing monthly payment that does nothing to reduce the balance or save me money.

Alliant Energy Budget Plan

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 252001283891131/k2311a0120/1.20.08