Oak Hill OH  » Travel  »
Ohio
  • They used to allow us to walk down town for lunch if we wanted to
  • My favorite part of the walk home was crossing the bridge over Lake Jackson

• by sadonna

Oak Hill, Ohio is a small town in the foothills of southern Ohio. I was not born there but I lived there off and on most of my childhood. The high school used to go from grade seven to twelve. They used to allow us to walk down town for lunch if we wanted to.

I liked that about it that school. There was an old laundry mat and cafe across from the main grocery store in town which was located just down the street from the high school. I ran track when I was in seventh grade and would walk home afterwards.

I usually stopped off at the grocery store for a drink and snack before heading out for the couple of miles to my house. My favorite

part of the walk home was crossing the bridge over Lake Jackson. Sometimes I would stop off at the park on one side of the lake and sit at a picnic table to take a break.

I liked the peace and quite so I could enjoy the sound of the birds singing. Then I would head on out to get home before it got dark. The longest park of the walk was the hill that led up to the hickory grove ridge where we lived.

One of my favorite things about where we lived was the cave that was on my Aunt Easter bell’s place. Then if we went to my cousins Billy and Bobby’s house there was a creek and several small bluffs that we would ...

• play around. There were lots of vines in the woods that we used as swings sort of like Tarzan.

Back when I was a kid growing up in Oak Hill, people did not seem to mind if you played on their property as long as you did not tear up anything. One of my favorite things to do was walk barefooted through the creeks out behind my best friends house. We would make miniature dams and allow the water to pool up just over ankle deep as a means to cool off on a hot summer day.

Oak Hill was close to a state forest where you could do a lot of hiking and there were numerous state parks within an a couple of hours drive. The easiest

place to spend the day was the park at Lake Jackson. There was an area to swim and lots of great fishing holes off the banks of the lake.

If you had a boat you could spend all day lounging around on the boat out in the middle of the lake. There was a pizza restaurant in Oak Hill that was named Giovanni’s Pizza that made the greatest pizza around. We had several gas stations one of which my sister’s boyfriend used to work at.

Overall Oak Hill is a small town that is a great place to raise a family. It is centrally located close to West Virginia and Kentucky. Making it a hop skip and jump away from other points of interest including the Ohio River.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381901282990631/k2311a0119/1.19.08