Monitronics  » Business  »
0.5
  • We did not have any experience with alarm or security systems, so when the monitronics representative knocked on our door to sell the product-the alarm system- we decided why not give a try thinking that a two year period will go by without any unexpected turn of events
  • After this experience, I would not recommend this company to anyone
  • In my opinion, it represents a bunch of dishonest people who are making money on the back of honest and honorable people who put their trust in them

• by sisimama

My husband and I are having a hard time cancelling our two year contract with Monitronics. Now, monitronics is a company that installs alarm systems in homes to ensure security at all times. To get their alarm system and be connected to their security center, you have to sign a two year contract with them. When we signed the contract, two years ago, we were new home owners in the beautiful city of Colorado Springs. We did not have any experience with alarm or security systems, so when the monitronics representative knocked on our door to sell the product-the alarm system- we decided why not give a try thinking that a two year period will go by without any unexpected turn of events. Well, unfortunatey my husband’s company got into a lot of trouble and they started a series of

lay offs. Fearing that he gets fired, my husband decided to find another more stable job. He did find a job but it was in a completely different state. Of course we sold the house after just one year but were stuck with the monthly payments of Monitronics. Since we signed the contract, we thought that it was our duty to fullfil it.

Our contract with Monitronics ends in June 2008, so when we called them to pay the remaining months and cancel the contract , they said that it was too early to cancel and that we have to go through the Process of cancellation by mail. They said that nobody can cancel by phone and that we have to submit a letter to ask them to cancel our membership. We actually heard about other customers who were ...

• unable to cancel their contracts, which were automatically renewed for tow more years just because when they wanted to cancel they were told it was too early, like us, and then when they forgot to cancel by just one day, their contract was automatically renewed. This is disgusting and dishonest to force people to keep paying for a service they don’t need anymore. It’s frustrating not to be able to cancel in advance and not to be able to do it over the phone. I feel that Monitronics is stealing money from its customers by renewing their contracts automatically even if these same customers ask for their contracts to be cancelled just a few weeks before.

I also would like to mention that their staff is very rude over the phone and that they always make it sound that you

are to blame, not them. And if you forget one payment they keep harassing you by calling your home phone as well as your cell phone until they get their money. Well, you know what we decided my husband and I? We decided to stop paying the monthly payments until they send us a letter allowing us to cancel the contract at the end of June. This is the only way we will force them to allow us to cancel our contract. Sounds confusing doesn’t it?!!

After this experience, I would not recommend this company to anyone. In my opinion, it represents a bunch of dishonest people who are making money on the back of honest and honorable people who put their trust in them. I wonder if what they do is lawful? Maybe not. I wish I were a lawyer!!

Monitronics

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411701282380631/k2311a0117/1.17.08